www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:01 pm 
Relentless Maniac

After the weekend's events (PP Run up Kaner/Rocks on Sat, Naches Pass/Chinook Pass on Sun), I decided to stick around for a couple of days with no human companionship (my guard dog/farting carpet was at my side).

Monday morning, after some lively conversation with TDub/Family (including Mr. and Mrs. W the elder) and Danny, we polished off a great breakfast of sheepherder's spuds ala the aforementioned Mrs. W, broke camp, made a last minute tire r/r to a Winnebago, and parted ways. By parted ways, I mean that they went home and I aired down. Of course, I supplied my general route, options, and even GPS coordinates just in case.

Parting words to TDub: "Look maaaaaan. If you don't find a body, it means I don't want to be found. Call off the search." He just nodded and drove away.

Ready to head out:

After I aired down, I went to Whistlin' Jacks for a sixer of Pepsi. I don't know how to start a fire without a Pepsi can and I was running low. After this final sundry was applied to the cooler, I was off and back into the woods. My plan for the day was to map out a bunch of the fire roads that we never use in the Little Naches drainage and find "THE" camp spot of the gods. Both of which I did. Both of which I will only share in person or under duress, but certainly not on the internet. :P

My camp spot was "quite a ways" from a well traveled route at the end of a road on TOP of a peak. I believe I have naming rights to said peak. I'm kicking around a few things.

Pic on the scouting trip of Rainier:

Does this look like home?

I believe it does!!

Turn to the right:

Wait a few minutes:

I mentioned that I was on top of a peak. I could walk a few paces from the fire and see Manastash Ridge, then Adams, Rainier, Raven's Roost, and back to Manastash. 300+ degrees of awesomeness. We pitched camp, started a Pepsi can fire and settled in.

Only trouble was. . .well. . .I was alone. In the wilderness. At night. Maverick and I sat by the fire working through the various issues that had brought us to such a place. A vision quest, so to speak. Grouse thumped logs at dusk and the Elk bugled all night long. Maverick detected a few unwanted creatures and warded them off with a stiff growl. The only human made sounds to be heard came from passenger jets on final to SEA. It was very quiet. In fact, so quiet that I felt compelled to whisper even though there was no real call for it.

The moon loomed on the horizon, nearly full, and cast an eerie glow over the landscape. Rainier by moonlight stood as the ghost of a volcano. Breathtaking. The flat light made everything else just a little too spooky.

We turned in at 9:00 PM. At 3:00 AM, the only bad part of the trip puked on the floor of my tent. Mav ate too much grass. Finally, we got up for the last time at 7:30 Tuesday morning feeling. . .uh. . .dirty as Hell. I had not been indoors since about 4:30 PM on Friday. Time for a bath. There I stood, on that overlook above all of creation, naked as a mole rat and half as cute, taking a bath with a sauce pan of water heated over a camp stove. Hey, at least I got clean. I was, after all, going to make my way home via the LONG way later that afternoon.

Morning camp:

To continue the daytime mission of the quest, my plan for Tuesday was to get back to the trail system and map out an "alternate" route to Ellensburg
as preparation for a future Overland Expedition. So, armed with the knowledge that the Milk Creek road would soon be open (yep, that's right people, we saw the rollers and gravel trucks doing their thing on Monday morning), I determined to find the "least rough but directest" route from the Little Naches area to E-burg and points therein. Specifically Starbucks and/or Taco Del Mar.

Off I went mapping out the fire roads to Lily Pond. I did wheel the last section of Kaner just because I was there and then on down the Lily Pond trail to Milk Creek. At 11:30 AM at the intersection of the Lily Pond trail and Milk Creek Road, I saw a person. The first in almost exactly 24 hours. I wouldn't see another until well into the afternoon.

I clawed my way up the 5 fingers climb to summit Manastash. It made me happy to see that much of the trail repair that Roman, BoyScout, and I had helped with many years ago was still in good shape and that people were doing a better job of respecting the wet area at the bottom. The top of the hill was as we all remember:

Selfie for the wife (probably the only one you'll ever see on the internet because of how people like to photoshop me):

Lunch at Funny Rocks:

From there, I cruised out the back side of Funny Rocks past Manastash Lake.

At the bottom of the trail, I took a left, then a right. . .found a numbered trail (didn't take it, but there is a waypoint) and found myself on top of the S. Fork of Manastash Creek's canyon.

Colors

On down the road/trail a ways, I threw a rock at a fool chicken. Missed. (firing pin was busted off on my .22).

As it turns out, that last right I took, should have been a left. Result was the same, but the road was really bumpy. You know how I feel about bumps!!! At any rate, I ended up here:

With this in the back-up camera:

On to this:

and a little of this:

13 miles and!!!!!

SUCCESS!!!!

At that point, I turned South, wished I had cruise control, put it the GPS on 73MPH and cruised home for a burrito.

*disclaimer* I do not endorse anyone doing what I do. Ever. I also do not apologize. I realize that I was alone and it was quite intentional.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:10 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: 97 TJ Sport Kinda Built
Great report!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:32 pm 
I like the cloven hoof

Vehicle: '05 LJ
Excellent report, thanks for taking the time to share your adventure!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:35 pm 
Never go full Rich-ard

Vehicle: V8 TJ
OldGreen wrote:
It was very quiet. In fact, so quiet that I felt compelled to whisper even though there was no real call for it.

All by yourself and still can't shut up. This is the Jim we know and love. :roflmao: Great report!

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:
When times get tough fat people get thin, thin people get dead.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:43 pm 
Relentless Maniac

Avanteone wrote:
OldGreen wrote:
It was very quiet. In fact, so quiet that I felt compelled to whisper even though there was no real call for it.

All by yourself and still can't shut up. This is the Jim we know and love. :roflmao: Great report!

FACT. I started talking to the dog because the silence got so awkward.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:55 pm 
whew, finally

Vehicle: yep
Fantastic! Would read again, A+++++++ writer. :cool:

FullStack MotorSports. For all levels of performance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:58 pm 
Soy una gran cosa

Vehicle: '51 Power Wagon
Great report! Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:47 pm 
Relentless Maniac

Thanks guys. This is my kind of adventure. I did this as a pilot program for more remote expeditions. I LOVE living out of the Jeep and being away from everything. Don't get me wrong, I still dig the whole "base camp" RV experience, but I grew up living out of a CJ5 for days at a time and I just can't get enough of it. It was also pretty cool to be forced to really think about keeping the Jeep in one piece. Fire road instead of trail, gentle throttle control, ready to pull cable instead of spinning tires, etc. I'm really working on trying to make good choices because some of my adventures in the next couple of years are WAY off the grid. Like FAR. . .

Just for grins, the XJ turned over 355,000 miles ON the ridge. The trip overall, including wheeling the two days prior, was 420 miles. UP, Kaner, Lily, Milk, Rocks, down 1701, back to camp. Then Wagon Trail and back over Chinook for the views before this part of the adventure even started.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:32 pm 
Im not a player, I just post alot.

Vehicle: 99 TJ
08 Dmax
Great read...thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:17 am 
drinks are on me!

Vehicle: Stock '13 JK Unlimited
Awesome report! Thanks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:09 am 

Vehicle: 2015 Power Wagon
You're so funny.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:55 am 
Pimp

Vehicle: 97 Sport
This was a great read. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:11 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: Jeep
Great report and thank you for not posting any naked pictures! :mrgreen:

Northridge4x4
Masterpull
Factor55
Rigid Industries
sPOD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:40 pm 
Venus Fly Tard

Vehicle: 2000 XJ Sport- Lifted, geared, locked, caged, armored, raced and rolled.
2008 JK Unlimited Rubi- Lifted, geared, caged, pickin' up groceries, rolled and in the shop.
Nice! My kind of trip. :rock:

http://www.masterpull.com

bmfm64 wrote:
I've got a bad flipper.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:57 pm 

Vehicle: 1996 XJ
Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:51 pm 
***SOULDOZER***

Vehicle: Ginger Geep
Excellent report! Thanks for sharing.

MASTER-PULL--AMSTEEL BLUE
The Leader in Synthetic Ropes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:52 am 

Vehicle: '69 Bronco
Wonderful write up and great pics. Looks like you've set the bar nice and high for anyone wanting to with The Best Trip Report, Winter 2014. Technically it's still fall, though. Is it too late to get this report in on the voting? :thumbsup:

Baller

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:40 am 

Vehicle: nissan pathfinder
Most excellent.

I do solo runs all the time.

It may be "stupid" but as long as your not an idiot, no problems. Always point your rig down hill in case you need to "pop the clutch".... to much music.. lol

:thumbsup:

"Just a few new dents in the roof."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:33 pm 
***SOULDOZER***

Vehicle: Ginger Geep
Baller wrote:
Wonderful write up and great pics. Looks like you've set the bar nice and high for anyone wanting to with The Best Trip Report, Winter 2014. Technically it's still fall, though. Is it too late to get this report in on the voting? :thumbsup:

Baller

Nope, make the nomination here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36724

I was going to make the nomination myself, but I decided against it since I coordinate the award. :mrgreen:

MASTER-PULL--AMSTEEL BLUE
The Leader in Synthetic Ropes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:24 pm 
Relentless Maniac

That would be COOL!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:54 pm 

Vehicle: What's left of a 98 TJ
Just read this.

Awesome times.

One of my favorite trips ever is when the wife and I did the Rubicon solo. Not recommended, but it was a fantastic trip.