www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Longarms
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:11 am 

My TJ is ready for some new arms. I'm looking for some solid feed back on Rubicon Express vs Clayton Longarms , radius arm vs 3 link front. My jeep is currently lifted, unknown amount, about 4". Mismatched short arms, 35s" , Waggoneer 44s , Detroit rear , ARB front. What lasts longer? What drives better? What wheels better?

Post subject: Re: Longarms
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:26 am 
Needy Fucker

Vehicle: '12 Moo
Jeepinjoe401 wrote:
What lasts longer? What drives better? What wheels better?

Clayton for all of the above.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:38 am 
Pimp

Vehicle: Tee-jay
Do not get radius arms. You won't like them. Stick with a 5 link or get a 3 link front. SO if it's between the two, get the Clayton.

I don't like long arms, unless you like using suspension arms as sliders or getting hung up on them. I prefer mid arms for clearance and suspension geometry. You can't get the separation you need with that long of arm. But midarms take some work, I've always had to build my own.

Savvy however has come out with a DIY midarm kit, and in my opinion, you can't get better geometry within the TJ's frame and tub constraints.. It will climb like a goat with no suspension quirks. If you can swing it, get that kit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:41 am 
Never go full Rich-ard

Vehicle: V8 TJ
The Clayton is definitely a premium product over the Rubicon Express stuff. They use all Currie Johnny joints and O.E. style clevite rubber bushings. Most Clayton kits we've installed out there have lots of miles and years on them and still running all the original bushings and joints. The R.E. kits are good, and cheaper, but you're gonna be replacing joints on an annual basis if they're used good. They're both going to drive pretty decent, although the R.E. kit still uses rear track bar and isn't triangulated like the Clayton's kit. As far as Clayton radius vs 3 link, I prefer the 3 link on a rig that's driven to and from the trail and more offroad, and the radius arm on a daily driver occasional trail use type rig.

John

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:
When times get tough fat people get thin, thin people get dead.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:46 am 
Never go full Rich-ard

Paul wrote:
Savvy however has come out with a DIY midarm kit, and in my opinion, you can't get better geometry within the TJ's frame and tub constraints.. It will climb like a goat with no suspension quirks. If you can swing it, get that kit.

I can agree with this. For an easy to install and overall good driving kit, the Clayton's is awesome, but the new Savvy Midarm stuff is pretty nice. Move involved install and more $$$ but worth it in the long haul.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:33 am 

So my wife mostly daily drives this jeep, we take it in the snow and long solo jeeping day trips with the dog. For weekend trail running we have been wheeling a CJ5. I'm in the middle of building a new trail rig, CJ3B, LQ9, T-18 etc and the CJ has been parted out into this build. With the trail rig down the TJ is pulling double duty. My plan was the clayton if I did a long arm upgrade but the rubicon kit looks like a quick weekend install and back to working on the willys. The clayton looks way better to me but really I had been planning on building a mid arm kit, I hadn't seen the savvy but have been looking at the rokmen. Any input on that or builder components to just make my own?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:26 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: 98-TJ
I have Clayton's 3 link front and 4 link rear. I can cruise at 70 on the freeway and it wheels great the few times I actually use it...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:41 pm 
Turns out, firewood DOES grow on trees!

Vehicle: FFZJ
Unless you have a rig bred purely for racing the hero of any off road (or on road) rig's suspension is the Currie Johnny Joint. If I were shopping suspension kits today the inclusion of Johnny Joints would be the measure by which I rate them. Clayton uses JJs. The rear upper arms on my rig are Clayton arms from my first ZJ build. I have been pounding on them year round for a decade. They have never been apart or rebuilt. They are tight as a drum. My whole suspension is JJs including both ends of the front track bar, which turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made regarding a "suspension choice".

I believe Currie Johnny Joints are easily in the top 5 greatest products available in the off road industy.

If you really are at the level where you need the strength of "solid" rod end type joints then yeah, get them. They are stronger. For the majority of us building rigs for street duty and wheeling from beginner to hard core wheeler, Johnny Joints are the answer. I've seen so many suspension joint failures and experienced a mess of them myself thanks to Ballistic Fab's 2.63 joint, or whatever they called it. The Rubicon Express arms used to mush out their hourglass shaped bushing fairly regularly in the Reiter days. RE's Capsule style joint along with any other brand's joints with adjustable preload always seemed to require constant tightening.

Again, I have 4 Johnny Joints that have seen monthly (at very least) service year round for over a decade. On their third rig now and holding up to V8 (as always) 60s and 40 inch boggers. Never been apart, never been rebuilt, never failed. No other piece of offroad equipment I've ever owned has performed so well. My hat off to Currie Enterprises and if they happen to ever read this... Don't ever change the bushing material! You've nailed it.

Clayton uses JJs. Get Clayton. If Savvy's mid arm kit uses them I'd consider it too. I'd avoid the Rubicon Express kit like the clap. Sorry about the rant. Got carried away. :dunno:

Wheel stud Kill count: 11
Perfect wheel/tire assembly ejections: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:42 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: Tee-jay
For daily driving and some snow wheeling, I would just get a set of Currie or Rokmen short arms.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:31 pm 
Never go full Rich-ard

Just to satisfy Horus, yes the Savvy kit is all Currie joints. ;)

http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/Savvy-Mid- ... MA-KIT.htm

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:16 am 

Thank you for everyone's input. I think I will do a quality set of Johnny joint short arms. That will get me going the easiest rite now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:22 pm 
Turns out, firewood DOES grow on trees!

Vehicle: FFZJ
I stand satisfied. The Savvy kit looks awesome.

Jeepinjoe401 wrote:
Thank you for everyone's input. I think I will do a quality set of Johnny joint short arms. That will get me going the easiest rite now.

Excellent decision. Keep it low as possible and get the best front track bar and steering setup you can. Good to go.

Wheel stud Kill count: 11
Perfect wheel/tire assembly ejections: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:44 pm 
drinks are on me!

Avanteone wrote:

How can that kit be $4,000?

No shocks
No rear springs
No steering correction
No sway bar correction
No longer brake lines

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:29 pm 
Village Elder

Vehicle: '04 Jeep LJ, '72 Toyota FJ40 LandCRAWLer
Corey wrote:
Avanteone wrote:

No shocks
No rear springs
No steering correction
No sway bar correction
No longer brake lines

It's not. It's $3595. ;)

In this case, I think you're paying for R&D. The value of the components is not that high, the value of the knowledge that went into their becoming existent is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:37 pm 
drinks are on me!

I added $405 for shipping :spend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:02 am 
Club Member

Vehicle: 04' LJ
Another option for short arms is from Core 4x4. These are the arms I run on my LJ. Gave these arms a total beat down for a week straight down in Moab this spring and landed on them several times with only some minor scratches in the paint. I currently run 33" tires and never planning on going over 35's so I decided to stick with the short arms.

They are their Tier 3 option, which include Jonny Joints, 5/16" wall DOM tubing and Lifetime Warranty. These things are uber-beef.

https://www.core4x4.com/products/wrangler-lj-1997-2006/tier-three-50/tier-3-adjustable-complete-control-arm-set.php

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-LJ-Adjustable-Control-Arm-Set-8-Arms-TIER-THREE-1997-2006-/161831956359?hash=item25adefaf87:g:cFcAAOSw37tV9K8o&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:05 pm 
I'm secret-spot HOT

Vehicle: Snow camo'd 2000 XJ
John90XJ wrote:
Corey wrote:
Avanteone wrote:

No shocks
No rear springs
No steering correction
No sway bar correction
No longer brake lines

It's not. It's $3595. ;)

In this case, I think you're paying for R&D. The value of the components is not that high, the value of the knowledge that went into their becoming existent is.

HS! thats gone up a lot since I bought it and put it on the shelf in my garage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:46 am 
you guessed it, web wheeler

This may be late but I run the Clayton pro series long arm and it is a good kit. But I do get hung up on my rear lower control arms.
The a
Savvy midarm kit looks good

The one thing that I would like to do is use there high clearance drackets for the rear axle