www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:53 pm 
whew, finally

I put together some aeroquip braided fittings this weekend, never done this before. Didn't have instructions at the time and thought I remembered reading to not torque them too hard, but apparently the instructions are to tighten until the gap is <1/16th inch.

Gap is 0.236" on this one: Image

This was really, really tight. I'm positive if I tightened it all the way I'd destroy the fitting. What's up?

Is this ok? It doesn't seem to leak at all.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:54 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: '09 2dr JK
That is not ok. You need to tighten it more. Is the hose you're using Aeroquip hose? If not, you may need to change hose. I've found some chinese hose does not work with some fittings. Or, some hose is designed to be used with cutter style fittings which Aeroquip fittings are not. If you do have Aeroquip hose, then make sure there is no stainless material between the hose end and the rubber hose, any strand of stainless can ruin your day. If you have vise jaws, it's a lot easier to put the hose and nut in the vise jaws and tighten the hose end. Add a little moly to the threads to help tighten the fitting.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:14 am 
Pimp

Vehicle: 97 Sport
Is it possible the center fitting (AN to hard-line adapter) needs to be swapped 180*?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:22 am 
whew, finally

He appears to be using a weld end to adapt the hardline to the hose end. The weld end is either silver soldiered or brazed onto the tube. These are only installed 1 direction, either way, with this style of fitting, however it's adapted to the hardline would not effect the nut/hose assembly to the hose end.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:16 pm 
whew, finally

It is aeroquip hose. I didn't lubricate it that may be the problem. Real failure at reading directions. My punishment will be dropping the tank again.

The fitting is an adapter to 3/8 male to clip into the factory hard line. Impossible to install backwards.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:28 pm 
whew, finally

Got it all taken care of. Just needed to lubricate the threads. Put some grease on and it tightened all the way easier than it was before to get it to the first picture.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:18 pm 
whew, finally

Well, the fittings aren't leaking but I am spectacularly displeased with this product. Garage smells like gas every morning (really very faintly), and it's not the fittings but the hose itself. If I have any section of the hose within about 2 inches of my nose, it smells strongly of gasoline. The internet confirms that AQP hose often releases gas smell through the hose material.

Can't believe a company with the reputation of Aeroquip would produce a gas hose that smells like gas when filled with gas.

Anyone know what hose/fitting systems don't have smelly hose so I can throw away that awful $100 mess?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:58 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: Tee-jay
Most all of that braided hose will off gas with fuel. I'm going to try Earl's ProLite 350 hose for mine.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:52 pm 
whew, finally

Most of the rubber based braided hoses will off gas, some are worse then others. Of the rubber based hoses I've had the best luck with Fragola Performance which uses a synthetic based rubber. Otherwise, you'll need to get into a Teflon hose or better yet the crimp style fittings which use a plastic/teflon inner liner. Of the crimp style fittings, XRP is our go to at the shop.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:31 am 
whew, finally

Ordered a crimped XRP teflon hose, the smell is entirely eliminated. Thanks for the suggestion!