Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:52 am 
drinks are on me!

Larry wrote:
POR wrote:
Larry wrote:
I am a dealer for Raceline, Trail-Gear, TrailReady and have access to any wheel I choose to sell. I have also been heavily sponsored, and haven't purchased a wheel in several years. I wouldn't wheel an ATX Slab if I had a truckload of them, and I wouldn't race with them again either.

In terms of quality, TrailReady is the winner in my book.

Lol!! I'm not a fan ATX either, just trying to keep a comparable debate. Do you try to talk your customers out of other brands that might be comparable to trail ready? What would be another choice you'd offer to a customer?

I always try to get my customers to buy higher end products. It's been my experience that "good enough", isn't. When a low cost part fails, the shop is blamed. There are many products that I refuse to sell for this reason. Everything is budget driven, but educating the customer is key.

Oops double post

Last edited by POR on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:15 am 
drinks are on me!

POR wrote:
Larry wrote:
POR wrote:
Larry wrote:
I am a dealer for Raceline, Trail-Gear, TrailReady and have access to any wheel I choose to sell. I have also been heavily sponsored, and haven't purchased a wheel in several years. I wouldn't wheel an ATX Slab if I had a truckload of them, and I wouldn't race with them again either.

In terms of quality, TrailReady is the winner in my book.

Lol!! I'm not a fan ATX either, just trying to keep a comparable debate. Do you try to talk your customers out of other brands that might be comparable to trail ready? What would be another choice you'd offer to a customer?

I always try to get my customers to buy higher end products. It's been my experience that "good enough", isn't. When a low cost part fails, the shop is blamed. There are many products that I refuse to sell for this reason. Everything is budget driven, but educating the customer is key.

I agree with that, I preach that theory as well. For instance take hydro assist as example you can home mod your pump, fab you own brackets and forklift ram it up. Or you can buy a nice kit save you hours in fab time and at the end of the day not have problems with your pump and home brew set up. To be clear I'm not saying all these wheel brands are created equal, but in this posters situation, 35's on most likely a dd trail jeep that is not what I would consider hardcore trail wheeled or raced, I think most rims are going to suit him well. Now I might be assuming wrong and he might drive it like he's Ritchie Keith or Tom Wayes which case that changes his needs out of his equipment. My thinking is if race car parts were needed for everyone then none of these budgeted friendly companies would never exist. While I understand the importance of educating the costumer; isn't it just as important to understand the customers needs.. does this customer absolutely need trail ready? Would a trail gear rim suit him just as well? Doesn't that make you a better shop in the long run not over selling a customer because you educated him on the pros and cons of his puchase and valued his hard earned dollar. Therefore in the long run earning a repeat customer because he now feels you value his hard earned money. It's hard game for you I understand, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:42 am 
Just call me grandpa!

Are beadlock wheels a need or a want? If they are a need, get good ones. If they are a want, get whatever blows your skirt up. ;)

CRAWL Magazine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:47 am 
Never go full Rich-ard

Vehicle: V8 TJ
I completely get what you're saying, not everyone NEEDS race parts. If one wheel was $200 and the other was $500 this wouldn't be much of a discussion on a trail rig. BUT, when you can get a superior product for very little more coin, why not?

Just going to Poly's website for a fair price comparison:

Raceline standard beadlock w/alum. ring $380.
Raceline premium wheel w/ alum ring $460 (not sure on difference)
TrailGear creeper locks $349
Method $340
Trailready 17" HD $395
ATX off of Northridge site $399
KMC also off Northridge $412

That's just comparing MSRP off of Poly's website. I can do better pricing on the TR's but wanted a retail for retail comparison.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:
When times get tough fat people get thin, thin people get dead.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:05 am 
drinks are on me!

I'm with Mcdash this has been an awesome read, kudos to everyone posting this has been a fun topic, it seems no one's panties got in a bunch. I feel like I've gotten some knowledge on rims that I didn't have before thanks for the insite on that aventone! It's pretty cool when you can walk away with some industry knowledge you normally wouldn't get. Admittedly my knowledge is more of a kid tested mother approved education lol, but I've been in this sport a long time and feel what I know is also valuable to someone else also and can help them. I learned a lot through my wallet over the years and I always get joy if I can help someone save some money. So much of this sport is fads or just industry friends/cool kids, so sometimes it can be overwhelming for somebody newish
To obtain good info.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:07 am 
Village Elder

Vehicle: '04 Jeep LJ, '72 Toyota FJ40 LandCRAWLer
Avanteone wrote:
Raceline standard beadlock w/alum. ring $380.
Raceline premium wheel w/ alum ring $460 (not sure on difference)
TrailGear creeper locks $349
Method $340
Trailready 17" HD $395
ATX off of Northridge site $399
KMC also off Northridge $412

This makes my point exactly,
Village Elder wrote:
Don't use price as a guide either.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:33 am 
Im not a player, I just post alot.

Vehicle: What's left of a 98 TJ
Just to throw my hat in the ring here. I have had very good luck with Stazworks double beadlocks. If you do get Stazworks wheels, make sure you get pressed centers (don't think they make them any other way now) and rock rings are mandatory on these wheels.

I've beat the crap out of my wheels, yes they are bent and don't run true, but pressed centers dealt with those issues. They are bent due to how hard I drive, not the quality of the wheel. Mine are first gen wheels, they don't leak air, and I have never had issues with them.