www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:02 am 
you guessed it, web wheeler

I'm in need of new shocks. Before I order them I would like a professional opinion. As we all know the stock shock mount on the rear axle of an XJ hangs down quite a bit. I would like to know if this mount is located higher so it's even with the axle, will it affect the ride? This is my DD with a 4.5" lift.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:27 am 
Never go full Rich-ard

Vehicle: V8 TJ
Won't affect ride exactly, but if you move that mount up, you will require a shorter shock, which may limit droop depending on how your rig is set up.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:
When times get tough fat people get thin, thin people get dead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:33 am 
Village Elder

Vehicle: '04 Jeep LJ, '72 Toyota FJ40 LandCRAWLer
Avanteone wrote:
Won't affect ride exactly, but if you move that mount up, you will require a shorter shock, which may limit droop depending on how your rig is set up.

Aren't the stock shocks right around an 8 inch stroke? Leaving them in the stock location would suggest a 12 inch stroke would fit fine but when you move them up on the axle the droop would be good though your up travel would decrease. You'd have to make sure your bump stops were correctly set up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:03 am 

Avanteone wrote:

That's what I need to figure out before I order some. I figure if I move it up 1" - 2.5" raise the jeep another 1", I should be able to get away with a rear shock for a 3"- 3.5" lift and like the other John mentiond bump stop it. I'll dig around on the old google and see what others have come up with. I was more concerned about street manors before I made a decision. Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:06 am 
Village Elder

Vehicle: '04 Jeep LJ, '72 Toyota FJ40 LandCRAWLer
If the shock you select is designed for the rear weight of your rig and would be comfortable int he factory position, every indication suggests it would be the same if you moved them up. If you choose to angle them significantly, all bets are off.

I've seen some shock relocation kits for XJs that put the units in a really steep angle coming to the center of the rig. I would avoid that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:47 am 

Ok thanks for the heads up on that. I was planning on just cutting the shock mount brackets and moving them up. Moonshiners next weekend? Was going to look for some fox 2.0 IFP's.