www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:51 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 1978 CJ5 Getting stretched, rear linked and LS powered
Had to do a little last minute flex before hitting some trails this morning. Pics show it all below, but I'll expound upon my findings. I had some concerns about front ds to exhaust clearance at full stuff there on the passenger side front, but now I feel a little better. There's just over 1.5" clearance between front ds and exhaust pipe. I like it. Tire clearance lock to lock at full stuff has already been checked. No issues, the beauty of wide axles (but not too wide).

I still need to finalize my front bump stops. I'm almost ready to do that. They kinda work, in an abstract artsy kinda way, but not really at all. The oem rubber pads contact one of the u-bolt threads well enough to stop up-travel during slow crawl ops. Now that I can see what's really going on I can address it properly. I'll just take it easy for today's trail run. It's an easier trail, so I'm not that worried about it. I'm just happy I don't have to rework the exhaust to get full up travel on the front axle. Very happy.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:12 pm 
whew, finally

Well just got back from the 1st shake down run with the CJ. Lot's of fun.
Went up to Evans Creek ORV park and ran a portion of the 520 trail. Half was snowed over and impassable, had to turn around, but still had a great time. 5 Jeep convoy. Mine 2 LJ's, one JK and one JL. All did great. The 4 door JK and JL barely fit but got through with no damage at all. They didn't have a 1/16th of an inch to spare though haha.

Nearly got shut down even before we started. Engine started to overheat because main cooling fan decided to quit working. Long story short the bumpy gravel road leading up to the orv park shook loose a poorly crimped wire in one of the chicom 50 amp relay connectors I bought from amazon. Glad I caught it in time. Only got up to 234 deg F. Engine was running different, acting pig rich, so I glanced at the gauges and my eyes bout popped out. Plus I couldn't hear the main fan running. Pulled over to the side of the gravel road and rewired it so the main cooling fan ran off the aux fans wiring and relay and then we pressed on into the mountains. Only a momentary pause and head-scratching about what to do.

Only other thing that went wrong was passenger front tire made contact a little with fender due to not having correct bump stops up front. Tiny bit of damage to the sheet metal. Nothing a body hammer won't make disappear. It never happened. No damage to the tire. That is getting fixed before the next trip out. Happened on the downhill runs.

Plus I really need hydro assist, because 37's. I could tell the fluid was getting worked and the pump wasn't happy about the elevated temps. Never lost power steering but knew it wasn't happy about what was going on. Ok, convoy pic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:14 am 
whew, finally

Were you heading to elbe sunday morn? Pretty sure i passed you.. paint that front clip!!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:44 am 
whew, finally

Yes I was going to Elbe on that day. What vehicle were you driving? Hahaha, yeah I know. My wife is getting on me about the front clip too. Well, I'm gonna do it in the fall. I just gotta get out in the mountains this summer!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:18 am 
whew, finally

Tipped wrote:
Yes I was going to Elbe on that day. What vehicle were you driving? Hahaha, yeah I know. My wife is getting on me about the front clip too. Well, I'm gonna do it in the fall. I just gotta get out in the mountains this summer!!

I had the red buggy on trailer with white dually pulling it, i was heading towards town.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5