www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:59 pm 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 1978 CJ5 Getting stretched, rear linked and LS powered
Thank you John. It has been a journey. The though of stopping here and keeping this raw, just built look has crossed my mind. That would be cool, but I just can't. I've been picturing it bright red for a long time. Hopefully about a month from now it will be. Shortly after that, driving around, God willing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:48 pm 
whew, finally

Filler work mostly done. Shot a coat of epoxy primer today. Let that cure a day or two and shoot 3 coats of high build primer and get to block sanding. After I finish painting it, go rub it against a tree within the 1st week of having it on the road :roflmao:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:42 am 
whew, finally

Making good progress on the CJ-6. Look close on the drivers side, you'll see a big fat run. Rocker armor will cover it, so no big deal. It's tall, I know. It'll have to do. Next up, get it running/driving. I still have so much work to do haha...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:24 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: 04 LJ
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:21 am 
whew, finally

Back hard on this. Wait. What? Anyhow floor is in epoxy. Top coat Monday. Then wiring. Then vrooom vroooom.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:15 am 
whew, finally

Herculiner is sprayed on. Now it's time to make it run. My favorite time is now. Well that and building the roll cage. I just don't like to sand and paint and I'm glad that's mostly over. If I ever do this again (which if you know me, you know I will) I'm having everything media blasted by someone. Still got the hood, grill, fenders, bumpers and cover plate for bed area to paint, but getting closer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:01 pm 
whew, finally

Loaded grill with LED's. Hope the LEO's will forgive the red in my front turn signals. The red will not be hooked up. There purely to match the paint. Center will flash amber. Halo's will flash amber as well. Should look cool.

Went to picknpull and got a PDC I can use to wire everything up. Plenty of relays and fused circuits available now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:49 am 
whew, finally

Pic dump. Next up is to crimp all a/c hose fittings and get to wiring. Prime engine oil system, turn the key and see what happens. Hope I got a good JY engine. Will suck if it's a turd. JY said it's good and they're never wrong :roflmao: .

Anyhow....

High Angle Driveline flanged 1350 CV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:14 am 
whew, finally

Time for more pics!!

Head light relay harness installed and works beautifully. Hid the relays up behind the pass side headlight.

Condenser to rad clearance at 1/4". Foam insulation installed between them. Hope it don't melt. I'll have to use a more appropriate material in it's place if it does.

Trans cooler located behind tcase up high. The 20" stretch area was the perfect place to put it.

Lower rad hose

Upper rad hose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:24 am 
whew, finally

1st drive!! Sorry for the messy garage. Just turned it around in the d-way, so I could pull and weld the rear axle. Broke all the tack welds on the truss and the rear axle was feeling a bit slinky back there after that, but managed to nurse it back into the garage. Rear axle is out and is mostly welded up. Gotta box in the truss with some plate steel. Don't ever want it breaking off again :roflmao:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:47 am 
whew, finally

Final welded everything on the rear axle less shock mounts. That's next. Added a 1/4" thick piece of plate to rear of ruffstuff boxed truss. Should be strong enough now. I'd have added 1/4" plate to the front of it as well, but due to how the axle is clocked, and it being a 9" with removable 3rd member, it wasn't feasible. Double pass welded and boxed both 3/8" thick lower link mounts. Shouldn't have to worry 'bout those, I hope. Pics...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:24 am 
whew, finally

Flexed it out. Hated cutting into fresh paint, but better that than wadding my whole rear quarter due to lack of tire clearance. Save that for the trail haha. Shocks are installed, clearances checked @ full flex. All good. Gas peddle is mounted using riv-nuts and spacers. Took 20 mins. Thought it was going to be a pain, but was one of the easiest things I've done haha. Beautiful thing. Pics later. Love my amazon bought riv-nut tool. One of my fav's. Real short list left till I'm on the street. Re-new'd the licence tabs yesterday. I power braked it in the driveway with the rear brake adjustable prop valve backed off all the way and dug two nice deep holes in my driveway. Couldn't stop, liked the sound too much. Had to fill those back in :roflmao: Pics...

Homemade flex checker tool. 5" up. 9" down travel.

Flexing with tire

Trimming using tire as guide.

Lousy pic of shock/mount/limit strap and their orientation in the wheel well. Better pics of that to come.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:16 pm 
whew, finally

Alot has happened on my build in the last month. I'm now driving it around town often. It has rear fender flares now and rocker armor, plus folding side steps. I'm thinking the folding side steps will be temporary. They are a carry over from my last attempt at rocker armor. I might do something different. It's a pain in the ass to close the doors and fold those up. With no doors it's a non issue. All these years and I still don't have any type of latch to hold them in the up position. Don't miss out on the video below and be sure to turn on sound.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:29 pm 
whew, finally

Anyone still here? I'm shouting into the canyon and just hear my own voice echo back. Thinking this will be the last update and I don't even know why this update. Whats the point? Not many here anymore. Makes me sad.

So I had a failure of the ring and pinion in the rear axle. It was due to my own dumb ass activities. I swapped pinion yokes to one that accepted a 1350 u-joint and failed to check pinion bearing preload, or at least grab the fooking thing and pull it fore/aft. Had 1/16" slop in the pinion bearings, because the yoke was that much shorter and the pinion nut shanked out. If I'd have grabbed the yoke and jerked it back and forth I'd have saved myself about 2K bucks (swapped out detroit for zip locker + plus gears/rebuild kit). So a lesson to you young guys, grab the yoke and jerk it. It will save you thousands. Smoked the gears in about 3 weeks. Well it didn't help that I was using the wrong damn lube in the axle the last 3 yrs. God damn Ford 9" just gotta be different you know. Fookin' hate this axle. I'm going to tons soon as I can afford, or convince my better half to let me, so I don't want to spend a damn minute or dollar on my existing axles if ya know what I mean.

That said, here's pics of the upgrades... A zip locker, strange s-series nodular case and nodular Daytona pinion support. Motive "blue box line" gears.

Pic of worn pinion. There was a palm sized mound of metal pudding globbed onto a magnet I installed in the case 3 yrs ago.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:47 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 1999 TJ Sport
Still here, mainly been checking in as a vistor because I have alot of password problems. I have to keep resting them because I can't remember what password I use where. Sweet build by the way, keep up the good work! :rock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:28 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: 98-TJ
I show up just to read this and the trailer build threads... :roflmao:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:39 am 
whew, finally

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:15 am 
whew, finally

The steps need to go :hmm: sweet build!!!