www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:25 pm 
you guessed it, web wheeler

Currently running 315/75/16 Cooper STT's which measure at ~33" loaded E rate @ 27 psi on fairly built LJ with JK axles, want more ground clearance. Im looking at 35/12.5/17 MTR or maybe a Milestar Patagone MT in 35/37? Anyone running the milestar? is there a consensus on a great PNW tire? just started wheeling in January been mainly at walker a lot, will be at Reiter, and went to Evans Creek last weekend will definitely be back.

Plan is to step up to 17's for more options on a set of Method 105 beadlocks (a fairly light beadlock) i want to stay light, im geared at 5.13 and already hate OD so not looking forward to making it worse.

my LJ isn't a DD but i drive it on the road a lot and i don't have a tow rig so it drives to trail and back... looking for advice from local wheelers.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:39 pm 
Never go full Rich-ard

Vehicle: V8 TJ
This is John, I spoke with you earlier on the phone. Things were a little hectic, I missed the part about you going to 17" wheels, that gives you TONS more options. The Cooper STT Pro is still a good all around tire like we discussed. I've got the Patagonia MTs on my trail rig and we've been racing on them since October with no complaints. On the trail rig, they're good on the road, in the snow/dirt/mud, etc. they've worked great. On the race rig, they've been tough as hell. I've only killed one and it was complete driver error.

John

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:
When times get tough fat people get thin, thin people get dead.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:49 pm 

The patagonia's are at a great price point, just can't find much review up here in PNW. I'm having traction issues on the sloppy mud boulders of Walker Valley and clearance issues at 10psi... so i'm trying to find a balance. Could you by chance get me some actual numbers for height at normal PSI's? I appreciate the feedback, thanks for taking my call.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:00 pm 
Never go full Rich-ard

Boomboom wrote:
The patagonia's are at a great price point, just can't find much review up here in PNW. I'm having traction issues on the sloppy mud boulders of Walker Valley and clearance issues at 10psi... so i'm trying to find a balance. Could you by chance get me some actual numbers for height at normal PSI's? I appreciate the feedback, thanks for taking my call.

I can do that. 37s right? Are you local? You're welcome to swing by the shop and check them out in person any time.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:02 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: Tee-jay
An LJ I would do 37s. However, with JK axles you better build them, or you're going to go through parts and housings...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:10 pm 

If the Milestar 35 measured at least 34" loaded id probably go with that.

Im trying to find the right balance, front is a JK Ultimate D44 with C-gusset and cromoly axles (stock rubicon locker), rear is ECGS Jk44 with 35 spline and Ox. Do you think they'll hold up to 37's? Right now I'm dragging front diffs and control arms and skid plates across rocks, so that's what i'm worried about, but would prefer to drag skids then snap axles.

Im also looking at a 35x12.5x17 C rated, it looks to be a great PNW tire and supposedly they measure out to near 34.5 ish which i think would be a good balance for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:13 am 
Pimp

Vehicle: 04 LJ
I just started running the Milestar 315/70/17 on my LJ, I have only run them at Tahuya so far. My intial thought are that they balenced much easier than my 33" MTRs. I never was able to get the MTRs balanced so I had a shake in my front end at 55mph. The shake is gone and the streetablity is much nicer. At Tahuya at 10psi I had a nice bulge and they seemed to do everything I wanted.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:26 am 

Awesome I appreciate that feedback, hard to find much about that tire. Do you have an actual tape measurement of the tire size when loaded at normal air pressure (i assume high 20's for hwy on your LJ). I've heard a lot about MTR's being hard to balance, i like that the milestar ighway tread is centered instead of offset like in the MTR.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:08 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: '09 2dr JK
I recently went from 37" MTR's to 37" Patagonia's and so far I've been happy with the Pat's. I got the tires from John at Auburn Car Repair since he had the best price and I put them on my Trail Ready's that I also got from John a few years ago. I've only done two runs with the Pat's, but no complaints yet. My first trip was a snow run and they worked great between 3-5 psi and the last trip was just a normal wheeling run at 10 psi and again they worked well. I'm heading to Evan's this weekend so I'll test them again.

I've been running them at 20psi on the road and they measured right at 36" so at a more normal street pressure they'd be even taller. I've not balanced them and don't think I'm going too. They run pretty smooth, I get a little shimmy a 45-47 mph, but it drives through it and smooth everywhere else.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:29 am 

Sounds like the patagonias run pretty true to size.

Does pretty much everyone run MT's in WA? The places where I've had most traction issues is the sloppy mud covered boulders at Walker. Would an AT like the KO2 perform well on the trails here as well? Seems like the heavy siping would grip well on boulders.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:36 am 
Never go full Rich-ard

Boomboom wrote:
Sounds like the patagonias run pretty true to size.

Does pretty much everyone run MT's in WA? The places where I've had most traction issues is the sloppy mud covered boulders at Walker. Would an AT like the KO2 perform well on the trails here as well? Seems like the heavy siping would grip well on boulders.

An all terrain works good on a lot of terrain, but we do get a lot of rain which makes a lot of mud. It's always gonna be a trade off, but I feel most of the trails here are better suited to a MT.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:31 am 

The Duratrac is a great tire. It is an AT but its tread design is more aggressive than a regular AT tire.