www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:28 pm 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 1978 CJ5
The time has come to create a build thread here for my CJ. Many fresh upgrades are about to happen. A little history, I acquired this rig in the Fall of 2010. It had an AMC 304, T150 3 spd, D20 tcase, stock axles, 4" spring lift. I immediately ripped all that out and installed a Chevy TBI 5.7 liter, SM420 4 spd, D300, SOA Chev pass drop D44 front axle, SOA Ford 9" rear axle, 4.88 gears and lockers. That worked really well for a few years and if it weren't for having to restructure my vehicle situation I'd have stayed with it (I lost my tow rig). After this build my long term plans include driving this Jeep all over the Western States seeking out new wheeling adventures while towing my 3K lb travel trailer behind it (using WD hitch with built in sway control).

Anyhow this build thread will highlight a few different operations. 1st being a frame/tub stretch to CJ-6 specs (so I can use a CJ-6 soft top). 2nd will take us into the install of a Gen III LS 6.0 liter and 4L80E coupled to a NP241C (for now). Last will be the install, setup and tune of a Holley Terminator LS MPFI system.

1st up, cutting of the tub/frame. So far I've removed a couple of stiffeners and marked out my cut lines. This week sometime the actual cutting begins.

Last edited by Tipped on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 am 
Never go full Rich-ard

Vehicle: V8 TJ
Thanks for posting, but moving to TECH.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:
When times get tough fat people get thin, thin people get dead.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:13 pm 
whew, finally

Thank's John for getting this thread where it belongs.

Fresh update from this morning. It isn't much, but it did involve some cuttin' with the good ol' sawzall. Made good progress gaining access to slice the tub in half. I gotta go pick up a few pieces of angle iron tomorrow to brace the tub before I slice. Removed the existing roll bar setup. Those remnants will be dissected later and re-purposed in the new custom roll cage I'll build later in this thread. 4L80E is playing peek-a-boo from underneath.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:49 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: '09 2dr JK
Tipped wrote:
Last will be the install, setup and tune of a Holley Terminator LS MPFI system.

When you get to this step, let me know if you need help. :thumbsup: Sounds like a fun project.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:45 am 
whew, finally

Finally had a chance to work on the Jeep long enough to get something accomplished worth posting up. Cut the back half tub off and removed it. Was very easy. Next up is removal of the front half of the tub and then the cutting/lengthening of the frame.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:41 pm 
whew, finally

Update time, body is now off frame. Now the real fun begins. Feels like I'm finally getting somewhere. I've already eyed my cut point on the frame, can't wait to slice it. I've decided to outboard all 4 leafs for stability towing. Or I might wait. I can do that later, if I need to. Eventually I'll link/coil the rear axle but staying springs for now. Pics.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:27 am 
whew, finally

Front driveshaft clearance concerns.

I'm currently pass drop SOA config. Gonna run a 4L80E/NP241C with JB conversions SYE. I will use AA motor mounts for the LS and shift the powertrain to the driver side as far as possible. Am I gonna have ds clearance issues? My gut tells me yes and I should start looking for a driver drop front axle right now. There's a guy on Pirate selling a bunch of mid to late 90's driver drop Ford Dana 60's. Maybe I should call him and get one here instead of dickin' around with this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 am 
whew, finally

Anyhow, on with the build. There's no time like the present, so I cut the frame in half. Took a couple measurements between body mounts, so I have an idea of how far to space them apart upon reassembly. Had to temporarily cut off a parking brake cable support bracket.

As it sits in the pics with the frame spread apart 20" it has a wb of 116". I don't have a bus driver license, so that rear axle is moving fwd.

The frame extension I added to the rear is getting cut off, so the back of the frame will appear more like factory. I'll be moving the rear axle fwd to achieve 108" wheel base. I feel that's the longest wb I can afford with 37" MTR's and that's the biggest tire I ever want to use on this Jeep with these axles.

Next I'm off to Interwest Metals, Fife. Gotta build custom sleeves to fit inside the frame rails and then box the outside of the frame.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:43 pm 
whew, finally

Some visual progress. Not really. Body is coming back off after I check fitment of soft top. Things are just tacked together and I haven't even made the pieces to box the frame. My plasma cutter made in 1988 finally died and then my welder decided to be a pussy and started cutting out on me. I think I need a new liner and ground cord. Anyhow, this is where I got this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:10 pm 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 88 yj HP 60 front, 60 rear, Detroits, AW4 auto, flipped 300, 37s, mild stretch, linked up
Looks like a cool project.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:48 am 
whew, finally

Forward progress. Been working hard on this for the last week. Don't really know what I'm doing, but don't care. It'll either work, or not. One way to find out.

After I finish final welding of the outer frame sleeves it's time to weld some 3/16th plate steel on the outside of the rear frame section to beef it up. Took a trip down to Interwest Metals in Fife today and got the steel I need to do that, plus make a trans xmber/with skid , and fix the sheetmetal gap in the tub. Might actually be wheeling this next spring/summer. I'll try hard to get it done.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:02 pm 
Soy una gran cosa

Vehicle: '51 Power Wagon
cool! Good to see some progress on this. :smokin:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:49 am 
whew, finally

Thanks JB! I got a new plasma cutter, so that has really helped. I borrowed a good welder from a friend. He want's it back soon, so I'm motivated to hit it hard.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:21 am 
whew, finally

One side done, the other half finished. Next up: Rear springs are getting outboarded. Front too, later. But 1st gas tank install so I can locate the rear axle. Waiting for 4.5" outriggers from RuffStuff. They went backorder 2 weeks. I'll wait because they are very nice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:20 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 88 yj HP 60 front, 60 rear, Detroits, AW4 auto, flipped 300, 37s, mild stretch, linked up
Are you using the outriggers to gain more stability or to match up the width for a different axle setup?
I would think about putting some coils on it since it will be seeing some more road time. I have some link material (some used arms) you can have if you wanted to go that route.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:49 am 
whew, finally

Hi Paul,

I know, I want to link the rear with coils. I want to link the whole thing with some pimp coil-overs, but overall cost has been and always will be a factor. I priced out the link material and Johnny Joints. The price was ridonkulous, so I'm staying leaf sprung for now. I blew my wad on the LQ9/4L80E and Holley computer system. I'm out-boarding the rear mainly to make room for a nice receiver hitch and dual exhaust tips. The added stability will be welcome. For the kind of wheeling/driving I do, it's gonna work great. Pics below. I finished the outer frame sleeves and installed the gas tank/skid complete with in tank pump cabable of feeding an LS moter. 108" WB will be no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:30 pm 
whew, finally

Shaun,
You hooked me up with a good deal so if you really want to link the rear I will hook you up with some stuff I'm not going to use. All of this stuff in the picture is available for you if you want it. $50 and it's yours. It will at least get you half of what you need.

Attachments:
IMG_953.jpg
IMG_953.jpg [ 55.38 KiB | Viewed 157 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:58 pm 
whew, finally

Yes I want. I'll try to incorporate right now, but if not, I'll use in the next couple years. PM sent. Thanks!