www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:16 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 1978 CJ5
I'm kicking around the idea of putting back together what's left of the stripped dead carcass of my CJ. This time the end goal is a Jeep that is driven to the trail head, no trailer queen. It will pull a 14-16' camp trailer behind it (estimating 3.5K to 4K gross wt of trailer). WB will be stretched to approx 108-110".

So tires. I'll run 35's or 37's. Seems like class C load range is the way to go for good aired down off road performance. Is that right? Some say class E is the way to go, because tougher carcass. IDK.

I see alot of folks running Duratrac's on here. How do they hold up offroad? Any sidewall concerns?

GY MTR's are exceptional offroad tires, but should I run them on a Jeep that doubles as a tow rig to/from mountains?

BFG KO2's seem like a good option for my end goals. Thoughts?

Pro Comp Xtreme M/T2 Radial Tire looks promising. Anyone run them here?

Any other tires I should look at? So many options and they all seem good. Any advice appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:59 am 
Never go full Rich-ard

Vehicle: V8 TJ
Cooper STT PRO is one i'd look at.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:
When times get tough fat people get thin, thin people get dead.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:47 pm 
drinks are on me!

110" wheelbase in a cj5 :hmm:

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:26 pm 
whew, finally

Thanks John, Imma check those tires out right now.

:roflmao: Yeah, it was born a CJ5. Now it's alot of different things, not usable is 1st and foremost.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:07 pm 
whew, finally

GY MTR's are fantastic street tires, they last a long time and have great (on the scale of mud tires, which are all as a whole terrible) traction in poor conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:51 am 
whew, finally

I love GY MTR's, but those Cooper SST Pro's sure do look and sound like they're pretty awesome. I want my Jeep to perform very well on the highway this go around. I have dreams of traveling the country pulling an R-Pod behind it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:17 pm 
Village Elder

Vehicle: '04 Jeep LJ, '72 Toyota FJ40 LandCRAWLer
If it were to see a lot of pavement and towing, then I would be interested in BFG AT/KO2s. If I knew I could wait until spring of 2018, I would get the new BFG MT KM3. I've driven them and they are exponentially better than the KM2.

The new Yokohama Geolandar M/T G003 is pretty impressive and will be out this summer. It seems to be worth a look. The Cooper STT Pro works well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:27 am 
whew, finally

I really appreciate the input. Huh, I didn't know a new BFG M/T is coming out? Shows how much I've been keeping up with things haha. I'm outta touch. Checked out those new Geolandars. Look as impressive as the other competitors.

I think probably any of these tires will work for my needs and I wouldn't be disappointed. Now I need to find out which one runs truest to 37", because of my gearing. If I run 35's my RPM's in 3rd when towing (700R4) are gonna be just over 3K at 65 mph. Not cool. I need a true 37" tire. I know GY MTR's run true to size. Do the Cooper STT Pro's? I really like those. Gotta research that aspect. I'm not re-gearing again. Love the 4.88's

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:51 am 
whew, finally

Looks like it'll be Nitto Trail Grapplers or Toyo Open County M/T's. Internet says they both run very close to true size of 37". Anyone run either of them and have any input? I don't know anything about either of them. Seen alot of the toyo's on pickups, but not Jeeps.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:08 am 
Never go full Rich-ard

Tipped wrote:
Looks like it'll be Nitto Trail Grapplers or Toyo Open County M/T's. Internet says they both run very close to true size of 37". Anyone run either of them and have any input? I don't know anything about either of them. Seen alot of the toyo's on pickups, but not Jeeps.

Nitto 100% over Toyo.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:50 pm 
whew, finally

Tipped wrote:

Toyo's are really heavy. They have a very thick side-wall, which is great for durability but you can let all the air out and they're still not aired down as much as you'd probably want, so not great for trail use.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:34 pm 
whew, finally

Dang fricken tires. I've gone full circle on this and I'm driving myself crazy. I'm back to MTR's. Can't be argued that they are exceptional offroad tire and on road not too bad either. On average, how many miles have you guys been getting on a set of MTR's, before they're used up? That factor is my last remaining concern.

On a side note, I picked up an LQ9 and 4L80E for my CJ today :brows:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:24 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: '09 2dr JK
I don't wheel nearly as hard as a lot of guys on here, but I've got 30K on my 37" MTR's. The sidewalls have quite a few nicks and cuts and the corners of the outside tread blocks are pretty rounded but actual tread depth, they are still between 12/32 and 14/32. I think new is 21/32.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:28 pm 
Never go full Rich-ard

snow wrote:
Toyo's are really heavy.

My new to me trail TJ got 35x12.5x15 MTRs this week, removed 33x12.5x15 Toyo MTs. Just for fun, rolled 'em across sale. Used 33" toyos were about 4# PER tire heavier than new 35" MTRs.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:37 pm 
whew, finally

mdash wrote:
I don't wheel nearly as hard as a lot of guys on here, but I've got 30K on my 37" MTR's. The sidewalls have quite a few nicks and cuts and the corners of the outside tread blocks are pretty rounded but actual tread depth, they are still between 12/32 and 14/32. I think new is 21/32.
Avanteone wrote:
snow wrote:
Toyo's are really heavy.

My new to me trail TJ got 35x12.5x15 MTRs this week, removed 33x12.5x15 Toyo MTs. Just for fun, rolled 'em across sale. Used 33" toyos were about 4# PER tire heavier than new 35" MTRs.

I want to say thank you to the both of you. I realize you don't have to share what you know with me and it's very gracious of you to help a brother out. I don't wheel hard much, but I do find myself in unexpected precarious situations out in the boonies, sometimes alone (bad Shaun, I know) A hearty offroad tire that works really comes in handy for that. I've observed 1st hand what MTR's can do offroad and people certainly use them on on road plenty, and they do well enough for that. I could certainly live with getting anywhere between 20K to 30K miles out of a set and be very pleased at that. They run as close to true size as any tire out there, so you're getting your money's worth. Well that settles it. MTR's it is.

P.S. A Holley Terminator LS MPFI EFI system is on its way for my CJ's LQ9/4L80E :brows: Some very cool things are about to happen in my garage.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:10 pm 
Why does my nose hurt?

Avanteone wrote:

Nitto 100% over Toyo.

Isn't Nitto owned by Toyo? I assumed that Nitto tires would be similar in construction to Toyos, no?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:38 am 
Never go full Rich-ard

outlawjeeper wrote:
Avanteone wrote:

Nitto 100% over Toyo.

Isn't Nitto owned by Toyo? I assumed that Nitto tires would be similar in construction to Toyos, no?

Yes. There are some similarities, and lots of differences.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:46 am 
whew, finally

Tipped wrote:
Dang fricken tires. I've gone full circle on this and I'm driving myself crazy. I'm back to MTR's. Can't be argued that they are exceptional offroad tire and on road not too bad either. On average, how many miles have you guys been getting on a set of MTR's, before they're used up? That factor is my last remaining concern.

I have 45,000 miles on my MTR's and they're a bit under half tread remaining

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:56 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: Tee-jay
We run Nitto trail grapplers on the race car. I run MTRs on my Jeep. For racing, the Nittos are heavier and tougher (same with the Toyos). But the MTR is lighter, and as good if not better mud/dirt traction. I would probably get MTRs for a traail rig, Nittos for a race chase rig.