www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:48 pm 
Im not a player, I just post alot.

so jealous of this build!... i should be cruising around this weekend also..

01 XJ limited 4.0 5.5 lift 33x12.50 15's clayton long arm clayton trac bar rubicon springs/shackles. dana 30 4.56's yukon zip locker rcv shafts Chrysler 8.25 rear 4.56's detroit locker jcr offroad winch bumper

06 chevy duramax edge programmer 5" mbrp exhaust

65 chevy C10 stepside long box

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:14 am 

Vehicle: 92 YJ with super slow cool guy parts
mehoff_400 wrote:
so jealous of this build!... i should be cruising around this weekend also..

Thanks man! The light is at the end of the tunnel for sure, can't wait to bang gears in it on the street :rock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:21 pm 

Time for a little backwards travel through time to Friday. I started off at 8:30 with this list of things to get done throughout the day so I could make a cruise in that evening.

Things were getting crossed off one by one until I needed my buddy's help to get the hood on. He showed up a little after 11 and we knocked the hood out pretty quickly. I drilled through the hinges and hood so aligning them was super easy. It was so awesome seeing the hood on it finally :metal:

Next up were the bumpers. I got a little confused on the rear brackets but got them figured out. I also buffed each bumper before putting them on. They really turned out nice!

A little after 3:30 and I had the list all done! I was hoping to get done a little earlier but hey, I got it done and made it to the cruise in!

Mine and dad's trucks, they got quite a bit of attention!

I still have some things to get done, mount the steps, finish the tailgate and then tie up a few loose ends but I'm super excited to put some miles on it!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:58 am 

After putting a bunch of miles on it since Friday, I gotta say that I'm really pleased with the truck! There isn't anything that I would change right away but there are a couple things that I would've done differently during the build if I were to do it again. Things like ordering a disc brake kit with drop spindles instead of stock spindles and looking at the No Limit stuff a bit more.

I still have a couple things to get done, mount the steps and clean and paint the tailgate but I love driving this thing and can't wait for its first autocross, it's going to be a blast!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:21 am 
Needy Fucker

Vehicle: '12 Moo
Looks great dude, congrats! :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:20 am 

Big weekend for this old pickup! Saturday morning, we started out lowering the truck more. It had a 2/3 drop in it and looked good but I wanted it lower. I opted for a 5.5/7 drop from CPP. The front is 3" springs with their modular 2.5" drop spindles and the rear is 5" springs with 2" blocks. It went together mostly without a hitch, it was sure nice only being in there a few miles ago :cool:

My buddy let us use his lift, it was so nice working on this thing not on the ground.

About an hour later, we had the front done :rock:

The rear challenged us a bit more, we had a burr on one of the u-bolts that hung us up but luckily it was low enough on the threads that we cut the bad part out and used the stock nuts. I also had to relocate my sway bar from on top of the axle to below the axle. Nothing major.

Had to cut the hitch off, it would have drug on everything :(

Tucking tire at full droop. Perfect! :rock:

Something that I saw when I put the truck together but never paid attention to was my passenger rear fender. It had been rubbed on something and pushed in pretty far. A little work with a piece of tube and it's mostly good as new.

Here it is, 4 hours after we started. It looks so much better and still rides ok with the factory shock mounts. I'll have no limit rear shock mounts on it and a relocation kit for the upper mount on the front shocks soon

Here's the part that I'm still in shock about. I came back by in the evening and my buddy that I've been helping on car/truck projects in the last year had a surprise for me. He picked me up a 2002 5.3 with about 160,000 miles on it and a few other things I wanted when I do the swap. It'll have a car intake on it, bigger injectors, etc. Should be pretty rowdy! There's a big C10 meet a few hours North of me in May so I'll have the truck back together for that. Time to get busy :rock:

Keep an eye on the thread in the coming months to check out my progress :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:01 pm 
Attention Whorse

Vehicle: 1993 YJ
2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
I saw your truck's twin in Colorado yesterday. Almost identical, except stock height and no lettering on the door. Couldn't get a pic in time though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:30 am 

Myke J wrote:
I saw your truck's twin in Colorado yesterday. Almost identical, except stock height and no lettering on the door. Couldn't get a pic in time though.

Cool! My brother will be out here in May and he's already asking for a ride :rock:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:45 am 

Tinkered on the old truck yesterday. Not sure why but after lowering the truck down, the brake pedal got really soft. I've re-bled, replaced parts and even checked how the brake lines are routed and it's better but still not what it was. I'm still plugging away on that, my next thing to check is to get some shorter brake lines for it.

Before bed last night, I went and got the 5.3 on the engine stand and took the intake off so I could start sizing up what I needed for the car intake. Good and bad things happened. It turns out that before the guy sold the engine, he decided to wash it but not plug any of the holes. Bad to see water in it but good that it's at this stage. Everything is still in great shape, it just came with a little extra water :roflmao:

It sure has a great stance now!

First thing I saw when I pulled the intake, this is looking down the head

Oil pan was cracked, I'm glad I don't need this one

It sure made a mess when I turned it over!

All in all, it looked scary and disappointing but things really aren't all that bad inside. Run it and see what happens :rock:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:48 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 2016 Tesla P100DL
2016 Infiniti QX80
2007 JK Rubicon
I have to be honest...

Dude.. It's looking SWEET! You doing a good job really restoring it. Great job!

2007 JK Rubicon - RubiCloak (MetalCloak Lineup)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:11 am 

Arisythila wrote:
I have to be honest...

Dude.. It's looking SWEET! You doing a good job really restoring it. Great job!

Thanks man! Sometimes it's hard to see what all you have done on a project and words like yours keep me going. It's going to be a bad little truck with that 5.3 in it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:38 pm 

some great progress!!... i NEED to lower mine some more but have a hard time pulling the trigger on the parts.

01 XJ limited 4.0 5.5 lift 33x12.50 15's clayton long arm clayton trac bar rubicon springs/shackles. dana 30 4.56's yukon zip locker rcv shafts Chrysler 8.25 rear 4.56's detroit locker jcr offroad winch bumper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:22 am 

mehoff_400 wrote:
some great progress!!... i NEED to lower mine some more but have a hard time pulling the trigger on the parts.

Thanks! Lowering it more was definitely one of the best things I've done thus far. It gives it so much more attitude and turns heads like no other now. It needs a c-notch that will be done soon enough, this weekend it should be back to a cab on a frame :help:

I'm pushing pretty hard to have it ready for the C10 meet at the XXX drive in on May 13th. It's a very reasonable goal at this point but every project needs a good completion date :cool:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:07 pm 

scoot_mcgrute wrote:
mehoff_400 wrote:

Thanks! Lowering it more was definitely one of the best things I've done thus far. It gives it so much more attitude and turns heads like no other now. It needs a c-notch that will be done soon enough, this weekend it should be back to a cab on a frame :help:

I'm pushing pretty hard to have it ready for the C10 meet at the XXX drive in on May 13th. It's a very reasonable goal at this point but every project needs a good completion date :cool:

see ya there!

whats the plans with the old engine?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:10 am 

mehoff_400 wrote:
scoot_mcgrute wrote:
mehoff_400 wrote:

see ya there!

whats the plans with the old engine?

292 is up for sale :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:22 am 

It was quite the weekend for the old Army Truck this weekend. I had Monday off and didn't hesitate to spend as much time in the shop as I could with the cold that I have.

Saturday started with my buddy and his nephew coming over to help pull the front clip and get the motor put back together; 3 people doing work gets stuff done pretty quick! A few other friends stopped by throughout the day to check up on the progress. Lots of people are as excited as I am for this :thumbsup:

Here's what the motor looked like when I took the heads off. I was surprised at how clogged the water passages were, looks like the dex-cool was the culprit.

And after my buddy attacked it with a brass wire brush and some cleaner

Squirted some fresh paint on the block to make it pretty

Tanner and I went and grabbed lunch while my buddy stayed back to wait for another friend to bring us better tools to put the head bolts in with. Sean cleaned up the valley pan and reinstalled it while we were out. It's really crazy how just a few minutes of elbow grease will enhance the look of everything!

I picked up some LS9 head gaskets, they are a multi-layer gasket and came on the ZR1 supercharged motor, should be good for some boost down the road :brows: . Here it is mostly assembled, I ordered pushrods and rocker arms yesterday as half of them were ground down due to not enough oil getting to the rocker arm. Seems like a common problem due to not changing the oil frequently enough. It's a good looking engine for a junkyard motor!

I also picked up an F body oil pan for a little more clearance on the crossmember and the ground

A little artsy shot that Sean took, it was pouring down rain in this picture and looked really cool with the sun poking out of the clouds too

That ended Saturday's work, Sunday I spent the day with my parents showing a friend of my brother's around town as he is working in Portland for a few months and living with my parents. I was super excited about the progress and how the motor turned out, I was getting a little skeptical of it but it will be a great little motor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:30 am 

Yesterday, I spent the morning trying to find the pushrods and rocker arms locally but struck out so I got them off of Rock Auto. After I got back from running around, I started draining fluids and unhooking everything so I could yard the motor and tranny out of the truck. Dad stopped by in the afternoon just as I was ready to get the cherry picker hooked up. Perfect timing.

I feel like I was just here :)

Empty frame, time to clean it up a bit and get it ready to stab the new motor in

The 292 on the engine stand waiting for someone to buy it

Sometime this week, the LS should be sitting in the frame!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:56 am 

Pretty big night last night! My buddy Sean came over and helped me get the motor in the truck. It went without too much drama, I do have to run the motor farther forward than I was expecting but that's not a big deal at all. My steering rack is occupying the same space as the power steering pump wants to but I found a cool alternator and power steering pump relocation kit last night that gives it a cool old school feel. I was hoping to run the stock exhaust manifolds but looks like it's just too tight so I'll more than likely pick up some Hooker exhaust manifolds. It's all coming together and looking good!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:41 am 
Dragon Wang

Vehicle: Aluminum Falcon

www.instagram.com/pnwjeep_com
www.instagram.com/pnwjeep_yj
www.instagram.com/offtrackmotorsports

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:30 pm 

Vehicle: What's left of a 98 TJ
Wang90XJ wrote:

I second the motion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:22 am 

Thanks!

Here's the weekend update. Friday night, the pushrods and rocker arms showed up so I got those installed. I was a little apprehensive about this job because I had found 3 different methods to install them and horror stories from each method. I took my time and everything turned out just fine.

After that, I went and picked up the fuel filter setup and headed over to a friends house, he wasn't home but his neighbor was so I stopped in and ended up helping get a motorcycle motor in the frame. Went pretty well until we had it all bolted in and he realized he forgot to install the rear drive coupler and it won't go on after the motor is in :bang:

Saturday, I dropped my harness and computer off to get reworked and had lunch with my mom before I loaded my welder up and brought it back home. When I got home, the ICT accessory brackets were waiting for me so I got those installed. They are pretty slick and look like they'll work perfect!

After that, I remade my transmission crossmember, this one doesn't hang under the frame at all and is pretty simple like the last one. It works great!

I also cleaned up the gauge bezel that I'll be using, I'm converting from warning lights to gauges. I used aluminum colored paint and it looks pretty shiny when it's wet but it mellowed out and looks pretty good after it dried.

Sunday, I was working pretty hard to find some motivation to get in the garage. I started cleaning up a bit from Saturday and doing some small tinkering. I got my electric fan setup on Saturday and mocked it up on the radiator. Northern does a great job, I'm impressed with the quality of work for sure!

After that, I had a buddy swing by to check up on the progress and BS for a bit. When I put the truck throttle body on the car intake, the PCV hose barb was in the way of the throttle cable bracket. I was able to heat it up with my heat gun and rotate it down out of the way like it is on the LS1 throttle bodies. Had nothing to lose and it turned out perfect.

That was about it for progress, I should have the remaining parts show up this week, maybe next weekend I can get the fuel system and harness figured out and fire this bad boy up :rock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:42 am 

On Friday, I decided to play hookie and tinker around on the old truck. Wasn't planning on it but it worked out. My exhaust manifolds hit the frame towers for the engine mount so I needed to clearance them. I was able to use some scrap tubing I have laying around and it turned out pretty well.

Making the marks, you can see the scratches on the left side where it was hitting

No turning back now

I used some 1.75" tubing and welded it on both sides. It turned out really well once I ground it all smooth.

Hard to see but there's a bunch of room around the exhaust manifolds now. Perfect!

I also got the power steering pump on. I picked up a kit to reduce the pressure for the Mustang II rack. That was an easy install and so was putting the pump in the brackets. ICT has really done their homework with their LS swap components.

I didn't do a whole lot on Saturday, I picked up the engine harness and sold the 292. Found out that the injector plugs didn't get swapped over for the LS1 injectors so I'm working through that right now. No biggie but a little bit of a setback.

Sunday, my dad came over for a little bit and helped me get the CaptainFab clutch pedal linkage on. The install went smooth and the clutch operates a lot smoother now too. I can't wait to see the difference when I actually drive it.

Last night, I tackled the rear tank install. In lieu of pulling the bed, I took the bod wood out. Seemed to work great and way easier for one guy to do it. I was pretty surprised that it was a no-drill install, I kept asking myself why I didn't do this a year ago.

Tucks up nicely, I won't be worried about it hanging down too low.

That's what I've got for the weekend progress. I need to get a winch put back together for a buddy this week and pick up a couple more parts. Stay tuned![/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:42 am 

Just plugging away at the old girl. I'm not really in a rush to get it done so I'm taking my time and making sure it's all done right.

The factory exhaust manifolds didn't fit like I had hoped so I picked up the Hooker exhaust manifolds and they fit way better. I have to massage the brake lines and the frame towers a little bit but I'm happy with them.

Last night, I got my Bosch tachometer in the mail so I put the gauges together. The bracket from rideblue00 makes the install nice and seamless. I'm happy with how the gauges turned out!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:16 am 

Motivation has been on the low side the last couple of weeks but I'm still plugging away on the pickup. Last night, I bolted the intake back on after I had my buddy fix a mistake that I did, buttoned up the new under dash harness and just had to see what the gauges will look like. The gauges look awesome and I can't stop sitting in the truck and looking at them!

Since I was here, I tied the parking light wire in with the running lights. Super easy thing to do and should help the other people on the road see the truck at night. I hope.

Here's what the gauges look like. They turned out nicer than I was expecting :metal:

Later this week, my buddy is coming over to help me get the truck wire harness setup for the car intake. It'll look 110% better once we are done!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:22 am 

Last night was wiring night. I was less than thrilled how the truck harness didn't even try to fit the car intake even though my harness guy knew exactly what I was doing. My buddy came by and it doesn't even look like the same harness anymore. I honestly would have been better off buying a new harness rather than having mine reworked but this is a build where every dollar counts and this option was cheaper than going another route. Live, learn and move on :thumbsup:

Here's how the harness ran when I got it all plugged in. Totally hiding the beautiful car intake

After a couple hours of my buddy working his wiring magic. So much better is a definite understatement! We worked the stock harnesses over and integrated them with the LS harness, the end result is it not looking too much like a 1966 when the hood is popped.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:31 am 

Vehicle: 99 TJ
08 Dmax
:rock: turning out awesome man! I'm starting to have LS envy...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 am 
Freedom Steak!

Vehicle: 99 xj
Looking great. Awesome progress in a short amount of time. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:15 am 

upsguy wrote:
:rock: turning out awesome man! I'm starting to have LS envy...

bmfm64 wrote:
Looking great. Awesome progress in a short amount of time. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys! It's been a fun process for sure, I'm down to the little things that don't really show much progress. I have a hard time staying motivated with things like that but I'll keep it going by thinking about how awesome it will be :thumbsup:

I didn't get a lot of shop time over the weekend. I'm putting the Oregon Trophy Challenge on in June so I spent some time away from the truck to get some things checked off the list for that. I did get to wire the check engine light and tach in on the gauge side though. I'm using weatherpack connectors that run to where the factory gauge connections are. Turned out really good!

The check engine light fit almost perfectly into one of the gauge bulb holders, I epoxied it in place and put it in the provision for the "Tandem Lock" light. Made for a seamless install.

Shop time this week will net me completing the under dash wiring, removing the gas tank from behind the seat and starting to hook the fuel line up. I wanted to get the dash stuff sorted out before I did that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:08 am 

I got some good shop time with the Army Truck on Saturday. Ended up torqueing the new crank bolt, installing the power steering pulley, pulling the in-cab tank and moving the shifter hole for the T5. I wanted to get a little more done over the weekend but had to spend some time on the Jeep Jamboree and Trophy Challenge events I have coming up. Shooting to have it back together before the end of April :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:42 am 

Hit an unfortunate stopping point with the exhaust manifolds last night. I can't run the factory truck manifolds because they hit the frame so I picked up the Hooker block hugger manifolds and apparently the driver side manifold hits my slave cylinder. Oh well, I'll either get that swapped out for an internal slave or a pull style slave. No biggie. I was able to re-thread the temperature sending unit for 3/8NPT so that and getting the manifolds installed was a plus

Rethreaded temp sender

Tightening the driver exhaust manifold, I heard a little pop and the manifold seated all the way to the head. Crawled under the truck to find that it doesn't want to play nice with the slave cylinder I had.

The manifolds look amazing though!