www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:18 pm 
Im not a player, I just post alot.

Vehicle: 99 TJ
08 Dmax
:thumbsup: I knew u wouldn't be able to wait long to tear into it!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:23 pm 
Freedom Steak!

Vehicle: 99 xj

Here's what I used for bearings, races, seals and ball joints. Also I built 1 ton steering and used the tie rods in the pic. I got tube from ACRO along with weld in bungs. Got any questions, I'll be glad to answer what I can!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:06 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 04 LJ
Thanks Buddy! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:10 pm 
Freedom Steak!

Vehicle: 99 xj
Ryno wrote:
Thanks Buddy! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: no prob! Glad to help!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:01 pm 
whew, finally

Not a lot going on the last couple weeks. Been pretty busy traveling for work, with kids spring sports, and the inevitable yard work and home projects that this time of year brings. I have managed to sneak in a little Jeep time.

Got the welds ground out and the inner C's knocked off my HP Dana 44. That sucked. Not as bad as I thought it would... but still, it sucked and required a victory beer.

MMM Kulshan Bastard Kat IPA.

I'm narrowing to Waggy width, so I did all the maths, measured and marked out 3.106" on the short side and 1.786" on the long side. Did all the maths again, and remeasured. then again, and again and again. A dozen times through the math and measure and I felt like I was good to go. Jigged everything up in my chop saw, made sure it was level and square to the fence and went to town.

Ooohhh sparky pics

I was using the crappy blade that came with my saw for the first cut. It took forever :thumbsdown:
The second cut I switched to a new Diablo blade. Like budda! :thumbsup:

So that's basically going to sit as it is for a bit while I gather up more parts. I also need to wait until I can get it under the jeep and measure for pinion angle and caster but I'll need to be closer to my final ride height before I do that. More waiting.

Dropped off my half doors this week for paint. getting a screaming deal on that so hopefully I won't be screaming when I rub them on things. I also ordered new mirrors, weatherstrip, and interior and exterior door handles, as well as cleaned up the faded light grey for panels and resprayed them in black to match my interior. I didn't take pictures of any of that. ( This pic thread SUCKS!)

Today I messed around a bit with my ARB compressor, got it mounted and the wiring roughed in. I still need to figure out where I want to put my switches.
Perfect little spot for it on the front fender

I also mounted my VHF radio and roughed in the wiring for that.

I had been really frustrated trying to figure out what I was going to do with the antenna and mount. I wanted to keep the back end simple, clean and uncluttered. so I ended up integrating it into my LiteDot LED 3rd brake light/license plate light which is centered on my tailgate.

I think it came out pretty well.

That's pretty much it for now. With the weather begin so nice I pulled the hard top, installed my spiderweb shade and put on the soft top, but I haven't put it up yet. :cool:

Looking forward to getting out and actually using this thing this spring!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:54 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: Tee-jay
Nice work on the axle!

I hope you're installing some 60 outers on that? Lot of work for D30 u-joints....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:00 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: Spider Monkey
Very Nice Ryan!

I don't think I have run into much issues with the belly clearance web wheeling :mrgreen:
Lets go wheeling :rock:

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:32 am 
whew, finally

Paul wrote:
Nice work on the axle!

I hope you're installing some 60 outers on that? Lot of work for D30 u-joints....

Thanks! It's far from done but it's a start.

At this time the plan is to do the standard Chevy/Ford mix D44 outers. I had debated doing the Jantz D50 R&P conversion but I'm moving away from that. At minimum I'll run alloys and a quality joint. I might spring for RCVs if the budget allows. I don't ever plan on going above 37's, and knowing how I drive and what I feel comfortable doing I don't think it'll be a problem. Of course... There is a part of me that is screaming "just build 60's". I think it's in cahoots with the part screaming "V8 SWAP!!!" :brows: :bang: :nono:

2xtreme wrote:
Very Nice Ryan!

I don't think I have run into much issues with the belly clearance web wheeling :mrgreen:

Michael

Thanks Michael. It's come a ways since you last saw it.
Amazingly my belly skid I was so concerned about has yet to get caught on anything on the internet.
A couple more little projects and I'm in for wheeling! At minimum we need another beer and pizza night!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:47 pm 
Pimp

Ryno wrote:
Paul wrote:
N I don't ever plan on going above 37's, and knowing how I drive and what I feel comfortable doing I don't think it'll be a problem.

Can I ask why you went to a D44 instead of sticking with a HP30 housing? Are you widening your track?

If I could talk you out of doing that I would.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:26 pm 
whew, finally

Paul wrote:

Can I ask why you went to a D44 instead of sticking with a HP30 housing? Are you widening your track?

If I could talk you out of doing that I would.

My main reasons were:

1. The axle housing itself was essentially free. At this point I'm into it $20 and buying my friend drinks the next time we go to the bar.
2. Wanted to go to be able to run locking hubs, high steer, bigger brakes. etc.
3. Depth of gearing.

I did look at doing a HP30, but the gearing was a deal killer... Plus, I was essentially going to replace everything anyways so I figured I'd just do it on my free HP44 and get a little bit stronger axle.

It's a 76 Ford High pinion that I am narrowing to waggy width, my final WMS will be in the 61.5" range. Appx. 1 inch wider than OE.

Increasing track width was not one of my main goals, Waggy width was pretty close and allows off the shelf shafts.

Whats the argument against widening?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:57 pm 
Pimp

I'm not against widening at all. In fact, that'll make it much more stable. But stock or even one inch won;t make a difference.

I ran a HP30 housing (free), installed junkyard WJ knuckles and brakes, and got some Warn hubs for it (got them cheap used). 4.88s with a V8 and 35s for about 8 years. It's a lot of work and money (shafts, high steer, knuckle machining, good hubs) to get a slightly bigger ring gear, the same u-joints, and get crappy brakes. Those D52 single pot calipers are junk for the TJ m/c. And high steer that really doesnt matter much.

WIth the D30 you can do WJ knuckles/brakes (high steer, and twin piston calipers), or Reid makes a D44 style knuckle. You can also get 5.38s through Revolution, and also 1350 JK shafts through them.

Given all that, I like to fab. If you're just doing it for the experience, I get that. I'd do the same. But you;re not gaining anything over what you can do to the D30 HP housing that bolts on already.

Sorry to clutter up your thread, I've just been there on several axles. :)

Last edited by Paul on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:54 pm 
whew, finally

Paul, no clutter at all, I appreciate the input. I'm facing an 8 year knowledge gap in all of this so any little bit helps. :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:23 pm 
Soy una gran cosa

Vehicle: '51 Power Wagon
I agree with Paul to a point. Yes the u-joints are the same and the brakes are meh, but the R&P and housing are hands down stronger on a Ford 44. I would much rather have the weak spot be the axles in a 44 than the tiny pinion of a dana turdy. Especially if you go lower than 4.88's.

Last edited by JB on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:27 am 
Pimp

JB wrote:
I agree with Paul to a point. Yes the u-joints are the same and the brakes are meh, but the R&P and housing are hounds down stronger on a Ford 44. I would much rather have the weak spot be the axles in a 44 than the tiny pinion of a dana turdy. Especially if you go lower than 4.88's.

I broke 2 Yukon outers on mine, never a ring gear. I think most late setup problems, personally.

I did bend three housings though, but I was kind of mean to them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:36 pm 

08 Dmax
Looking good bro...I think the 44's will hold up just fine. My justification on running 44's is there are jk's everywhere on 37's and stock axles that have little issues and I figure I'm gonna end up at least 1k pounds lighter so I think they will hold up just fine. Mike M has been running virtually the same setup u are shooting for and doesn't seem like he has had much issues on 37's. Just my 2 cents....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:54 am 
whew, finally

2xtreme wrote:
Very Nice Ryan!

Michael

Thanks Michael. It's come a ways since you last saw it.
Amazingly my belly skid I was so concerned about has yet to get caught on anything on the internet.
A couple more little projects and I'm in for wheeling! At minimum we need another beer and pizza night![/quote]

Yes, Beer Pizza and Wheeling, I am in for all of it!

I will see what i can do about setting it up!

Michael

I know there are tons of opinions and stories on the web between building a D44 and D30 and I think it comes down to statistics and how you use it. For a rig like this with a mature driver I think you are statistically safer with the D44 and the possibility of replacing a shaft or two over time. The 60 or Hybrid would cost much more than the possibility of a couple of D44 shafts (in both weight and money).

The down side to the D30 is that EVERYTHING is a possibility of failure on a decent 33" tire or bigger.

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:00 pm 
whew, finally

This weekend I finished all the wiring for the ARB compressor and mounted the switch. Since I had the dash all apart running wires, I went ahead and just mounted and hooked up the locker switches, even though I have no lockers... My mall crawling hypocrisy knows no bounds... Anyways, pretty happy with how that came out:

I also got my half doors back from paint last week. Since I can't leave well enough alone I took my "trail doors" and refinished the faded chalky grey door panels to black to match my interior, and then replaced the inner pull handles, the inner and outer door handles, the weather strip and put a new set of mirrors on them. As a result I have a set of trail doors that are nicer than my regular doors. I don't know... I think I'm doing this wrong. I'm digging the half door look. Might see about finding a set of uppers for them:

How she's sitting this evening:

Stupid weather... I want to go topless with my new half doors! :bang:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:22 am 
Team Cupcake

Vehicle: 97 TJ & 97 XJ
Looks good :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:25 am 
Pimp

Vehicle: 97 TJ Sport Kinda Built
I really like that color. The stance is pretty bitchin too.

When does the cage come?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:25 am 
whew, finally

Jarhead wrote:
I really like that color. The stance is pretty bitchin too.

When does the cage come?

I really the green too.

Stance wise it's a two inch lift on 35's. I'm going to run 37's and probably 4 inches of lift, so my increase ratios are the same. Hopefully it keep the same look, but just a little bit bigger.
There is a small part of me that wants to keep it the way it is.

Cage might be coming soon...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:42 am 

08 Dmax
Ryno wrote:
Stance wise it's a two inch lift on 35's. I'm going to run 37's and probably 4 inches of lift, so my increase ratios are the same. ..

Oh come on do something different!! I vote 40's and no lift..... :f2:

All kidding aside, love the LJ man. Simple and clean!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:12 pm 
whew, finally

Nothing really to report at this time...

But there is nothing quite like the feeling of coming home from a long days work to find you've been visited by the t00b fairy...

:rock:

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:45 pm 
Attention Whorse

Vehicle: 1993 YJ
2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
TOOBS!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:22 am 
whew, finally

Nice!
Looks like it is moving along nicely :cheers: