www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:12 pm 
Soy una gran cosa

Vehicle: '51 Power Wagon
Last year I was invited to attend Scott Frary's Trail Tour 2016, Operation: Low Buck. Scott Frary is one of the original Ultimate Adventure participants, so his UA spin-off is endorsed by Four Wheel mag family, and has been covered by a couple of their magazines a few times. Normally the invitee brings whatever their regular wheeling rig is, and gets to spend a week hitting moderate to hard trails with some scenic byways mixed in. It differs from UA in that Scott (and Cher) want couples to attend, and normally you stay in a hotel every night. So a little less hardcore, and more family oriented. Scott wanted to change it up this year, and attendees were supposed to bring rigs built for less than $3000, and a 33" max tire size, a winch, and at least one locker. It was a lot of fun, and a great reminder of how we all started out wheeling. The twist is that any of the rigs could be "claimed" at the end of the week if you brought cash and drew a lucky order number. In other words, the guys who drew the first few picks had their choice at the best vehicles. I knew there would be a bunch of XJ's there since they're the best bang for your buck. I wanted something different, so I looked for an early straight axle Toyota pickup. Had I known Rick Pewe from JP mag was going to cover it, I would have found a Jeep (because I'm an attention whore) and also may have chose something with better road manners had I known we would spend a lot of time on pavement. But on to the build:

I looked around on CL for a while, and early Toyota's are generally really beat, and somewhat expensive. I found a 1980 Long bed in Bellingham, and talked the guy down to 1500. The cab and box were rough, but it did have a new set of front shocks, 22r block with 20r head, downdraft weber, stainless header, and new exhaust system with a flowmaster.

The owner was living in a halfway house(was a nice enough guy) in a shady neighborhood. I thought it was hilarious when he handed these keys to me. Given the condition of the truck, they were very appropriate.

The truck had been lifted, but with what looked like Wrangler springs in the front. Notice the axle is pushed back due to the center pin location on the Jeep springs. Also, they were shackle bound, and the truck rode like garbage.

I wanted to shorten the wheel base and get rid of the rotten box.

The frame wasn't bad at all, I just didn't want to deal with it, so I started on a simple flat bed back half. I used .125 wall 2x3 for the "bed" of the truck. I spaced it up to where I wanted it and took a bunch of measurements.

It sat that way in my garage as I did other stuff and basically procrastinated until three weeks before the event. Then I got really busy, and started by hacking the rear half of the truck off.

This made things a lot easier and cleaner.

Although I waited too long to get started, I had been collecting some parts. I got a free IFS rear axle(wider than early pickups) with the longer rear springs. I also bought new poly bushings for all of the spring eyes and shackles. I used Trail gear hangers for the rear springs, and their U-bolt flip kit on the front.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:36 pm 
Soy una gran cosa

Here you can see that the 2x3 fit perfectly inside the Toyota frame. Clean and simple.

The rear dropped section would locate the rear spring hangers, support the fuel tank, and a bumper. My buddy Devin also sold a set of aluminum wheels and decent 33" TSL's to me for an amazing deal.

I was also messing around with the front suspension. Since I wasn't using the stock rear springs, I decided to move them up front. The rear springs are flexier than stock springs, and also move the axle forward about 2". On this truck it moved the axle forward about 4" due to the weird springs that were in it. Check out the spacers that were on the bottom u-bolt plates :eek1: Notice the box end of a wrench?

here's the difference between the Jeep springs and the Toyota. The Toy is on the bottom. Notice the center pin location.

Somewhere in there I found time to weld up the rear diff.

Checking the stance with new front springs.

Here you can see how far forward the axle ended up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:50 pm 
Soy una gran cosa

Some simple rock sliders were the foundation for the roll bar hoop. I cut up some box tube for gussets.

The main hoop is DOM, the rest is HREW.

Here's the basic structure, and the start of the bumper.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:28 am 
Venus Fly Tard

Vehicle: 2000 XJ Sport- Lifted, geared, locked, caged, armored, raced and rolled.
2008 JK Unlimited Rubi- Lifted, geared, caged, pickin' up groceries, rolled and in the shop.
More!!

http://www.masterpull.com

bmfm64 wrote:
I've got a bad flipper.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:31 am 
Needy Fucker

Vehicle: '12 Moo
JB wrote:
Last year I was invited to attend Scott Frary's Trail Tour 2016, Operation: Low Buck.
Last year and we're only just now getting the trip report! :mad :f2:

Even for a thrash build, still looks rad. :cool:

I like this, but I think you got the coolest rig outta this whole deal w/the FSJ... :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:03 am 
Never go full Rich-ard

Vehicle: V8 TJ
dr drae wrote:
JB wrote:
Last year I was invited to attend Scott Frary's Trail Tour 2016, Operation: Low Buck.
Last year and we're only just now getting the trip report! :mad :f2:

INVITED last year. The event was last week. :roflmao:

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:
When times get tough fat people get thin, thin people get dead.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:19 am 
Soy una gran cosa

X brace done.

Mocking up the fuel tank location for mounts. The tank was originally located in front of the axle, longitudinally, on the passenger side. when turned sideways, it fit between the rails perfectly.

I made up some simple brackets to reuse the factory tank skid. Better than nothing, and more importantly, didn't take long to make.

Tank mounts finished.

Skid installed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:43 am 
Soy una gran cosa

I wanted to integrate a tool box at the front of the bed and use some of the wasted space under it. I had an old plastic box that I wasn't using, and it worked out pretty well. I used .125 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2" angle for a simple support bracket.

Filler neck location.

The shocks that came on the back of the truck were old, but had 12" of travel. They had the Mopar logo on them, so maybe they came off of a 1/2 ton pickup? :dunno: The lower shock bushings were hammered out, so I machined some stainless bushings out of pipe to tighten them up and reduce the bolt size to 1/2".

Simple shock mount out of square tube. Worked great.

Shock mount and cross bracing for the wood bed are in, and some of the side supports also done. The bumper ends have also been capped off. I also welded on a few cut down U bolts for tie down points.

The rear of the truck welded out with corner braces and light brackets installed. Also welded on some recovery points I cut out of 1/2" plate.

Put in an angled support in front of the rear axle. Also tucked in the rock sliders a little more. I hated how they were hanging down.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:33 pm 
Soy una gran cosa

With the weight of the steel bed on the old IFS springs, I could finally tell they were pretty worn out. One of the extra set of packs I had came with an add-a-leaf in them. I installed the add-a-leafs and cut down the factory overloads.

All painted up with cheap Harbor Freight LED lights. This was two days before we left for Trail Tour.

I busted up a couple oak pallets at work to reuse the boards. Worked great.

1/8" aluminum was used for the side panels, and I made a simple hi-lift jack mount.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:47 pm 
Soy una gran cosa

Spare loaded up.

I pulled apart the front axle to install the 27 spline Longfield outers. Everything went together pretty easily, and I learned quit a bit about Toyotas since this was my first one.

While everything was apart I installed a Yukon Spartan locker.

I had an old spare Jeep tie rod (slightly bent, but not as bad as the original) made out of heavy wall DOM. I bored out one end for the O.D. of the Toyota threaded adjuster, and cut down the bent TRE from the driver side and welded it directly into the larger DOM tie rod. I wouldn't have left it that way for a permanent solution, but it was cheap and easy.
I don't think I have any pictures of it finished. I also installed a Low Range Offroad diff guard, and that pretty much wrapped up the front axle work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:55 am 
Im not a player, I just post alot.

Vehicle: '69 Bronco
dr drae wrote:
Even for a thrash build, still looks rad. :cool:

One man's trash is another man's trash. :thumbsup:

Baller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:58 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: Spider Monkey
Sweet little truck Jeremy!
So what did you come home with!?!?!?

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:47 am 
Soy una gran cosa

2xtreme wrote:
So what did you come home with!?!?!?

77 Wagoneer. 401/th400/QT with Dana 44's. Front axle has an ARB, rear is spooled. It's already getting new wheels and tires, radiator, and tailgate window rebuild. Fuel injection and exhaust are in the future, along with some JBweld bumpers and sliders of course.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:32 pm 
Soy una gran cosa

Some stuff I forgot to mention earlier about the front springs. The shackles were extended 1 1/2" with 1/4" plate to make the RUF's work better.

The truck came without the factory bolts in the front spring hanger, but I still had the larger diameter factory rears. The new poly bushings I put in the spring eyes had the smaller ID, so I had to turn down the bolts to fit.

The day before we left on this trip, I still didn't have a winch bumper. Normally I build all of my own stuff, but to save time I bought a predrilled winch plate from Harbor Freight. I cut out some 1/4" plate side supports.

Added some recovery tabs (1/2" plate). The plated were then welded to the frame of the truck above the front spring hangers. I didn't get any more pictures at this point because I was to busy trying to get this thing done and loaded on a trailer a few hours later.

Here's what it looked like done. I used .125 x 2" x 3" rec. tube for the sides, and 1 1/2" HREW over the winch. This pic is in the parking lot of the Hotel after we arrived in Roseburg.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:52 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: Spider Monkey
Jeremy,

Your take on a low buck trail rig is awesome! VERY nicely done!
Nice Addition :cheers:

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:55 pm 
Freedom Steak!

Vehicle: 99 xj
JB wrote:

Ramsey hook you up with a new winch or is that the one off the #RaceTractor?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:36 pm 
Soy una gran cosa

bmfm64 wrote:
Ramsey hook you up with a new winch or is that the one off the #RaceTractor?

That is the "temporary" winch I was given to use while Ramsey gets the big Sierra winch into production. It was on the Power Wagon for SEMA. Last time I checked in with Ramsey about Sierra, I was told they had delayed production to focus on another product, and that I should consider the 9500 mine until I was contacted by them. :dunno:

That was a while ago, and I haven't heard a peep. The 9500UT is a nice winch that will be going on the Waggy. I have a Warn Zeon 12k that was originally for the PW that is going back on the front of it. Just talked to Victor about buying rope for it yesterday, as a matter of fact.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:41 pm 
Soy una gran cosa

I forgot to follow up with a quick run-down of the weeks events. I don't remember the name of the area we wheeled on Monday, I only know it was west of Roseburg. Wherever Iverson park, Jill Hill, and Burnt Mt. are. Lol. I would call the trails typical PNW style trails. Tight tree lined trails with a little mud and rocks thrown in. Tuesday we traveled North to Cottage Grove then East to the Bohemia mines area. Not a difficult trail day, but very scenic. I still managed to pop a bead on the right front tire. Also, my alternator crapped out on the Freeway, so I got to be "that guy" first thing in the morning. It was an easy fix and a 50 dollar part from a near by Autozone. A bunch of guys started wrenching on the truck while I was picking up the part and we were back on the road in about 1/2 hour. Wednesday was a long road day with a trip to Crater Lake, followed by an off highway trip back home. Thursday was spent at the Coos Bay Dunes, and Friday was on the beautiful private property of one of the local hosts. I'm purposely not sharing many details because I'm not sure I'm supposed too. You can check out Scott Frary's Trail Tour Facebook page for details and pictures. Its a private group but you can see pics and stuff. Also check out JP magazines FB page. Rick Pewe did a few live videos, but you can still watch them. There's an awesome vid of Carl hucking a beat XJ at the dunes!

Right before I left, I managed to make a couple aluminum filler panels for the bedsides. Also made some quick detachable mud flaps with quick disco air fittings.

It looks really short, but the finished WB was 100"