www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Flavor of the week
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:13 am 
Attention Whorse

Vehicle: 1993 YJ
2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
Lyle wrote:
I'm liking that progress is happening here. :rock:

I'll be in your neighborhood around Christmas time, so git'er'dun so that you can take me snow wheeling. :mrgreen:

At least if it's not done, I can just get you drunk instead :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:11 am 
Im not a player, I just post alot.

Vehicle: 92 YJ with super slow cool guy parts
Myke J wrote:
Lyle wrote:

I'll be in your neighborhood around Christmas time, so git'er'dun so that you can take me snow wheeling. :mrgreen:

Don't you actually have to be at work to get him drunk? :f2:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:57 am 
***SOULDOZER***

Vehicle: Ginger Geep
Myke J wrote:
Lyle wrote:

:woot :drnk:

MASTER-PULL--AMSTEEL BLUE
The Leader in Synthetic Ropes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:10 pm 
Attention Whorse

2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
Haven't had much free time in the past two weeks to work on this turd, been too busy making all the beers. I did take some of that hard earned money and order a bunch of shiny new parts and they showed up today. Yukon 3.250 nodular case, Yukon iron Daytona pinion support, Quick Performance billet steel 1350 yoke, Motive Gear ring & pinion, Yukon master install kit, and new Moser axle bearings. This will almost complete the rear axle, just need to make a decision on the brake setup.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:48 am 
Attention Whorse

2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
Brake parts came in. Ruff Stuff brackets, 5x5.5 Bronco rotors, and Chevy 3/4 ton calipers. Same calipers I'll have on the front 9" when I finish it, so that makes spare parts easy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:35 pm 

Vehicle: 4500ish TJ, 2013 Raptor SCrew
Looking good, love all the new bling! This should turn out pretty schweet. :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:46 pm 
Attention Whorse

2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
As usual, I haven't done much with this in a while. I had a few hours with nothing to do today and the weather was great, so I decided to finish up a few odds & ends that I had started and not finished before (damn you ADD!). First thing was to finally mount the Poison Spyder louver panel to my Chris Durham Motorsports fiberglass hood. I didn't get pics of the whole process, but it was pretty easy. I didn't really follow the instructions since I wasn't working with a factory steel hood. I set the panel on the hood and aligned it, drilled and bolted the corners and a few of the side bolts to get it to lay flat, then drilled the rest of the bolt holes. Then I pulled the whole hood off and removed the panel. I used the template that PS supplies to mark out where to cut the pilot holes for the louvers to be functional. I used a hole saw to get nice corners and a cutoff wheel to make straight and clean line cuts. I hate cutting fiberglass :mad

Then I tossed the louver back on and bolted it all down. It'll stay like this until I get around to painting the whole Jeep, probably next summer.

I decided to add a couple more bolts in the middle to help support the fiberglass.

I doubt I'll be having any cooling issues with no inner fenders and a louvered hood.

After that I had planned to finish the driver's side seat bracket, but I had forgot that I used up the steel I was going to use for that for another project, so I drank beer and shop vac'd out the interior instead. I started it since it hadn't ran in a few months and found a fuel leak back by the tank, so I fixed that. I also noticed an exhaust leak between the cat and muffler, that was just the clamp not being tightened it seemed.

I got that hood louver kit from my wife for Christmas 2012, so getting it installed in a shade under 3 years made me remember the longest XJ build in the history on PNWJeep :roflmao: :f2:

I'll be picking up a 20 ton hydraulic press and a few other things soon to get the rear 9" 3rd member assembled and hopefully be able to drive this thing at some point during the winter. Maybe not this winter, but a winter some year...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:55 pm 
Needy Fucker

Vehicle: '12 Moo
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: =D>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:58 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 04 LJ
:lol:
Is it done yet?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:53 am 
Village Elder

Vehicle: '04 Jeep LJ, '72 Toyota FJ40 LandCRAWLer
Simply awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:49 pm 
Attention Whorse

2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
I decided I'd rather work a half day today and finish getting the driver's side seat mounted, then pull a 13-14 hour day tomorrow, so that's what I did. I picked up some flat stock to adapt the military Mastercrafts to the factory brackets and sliders. They sit a little higher and tilted back farther than I'd like, but will work for time being. When I do a full cage, they'll get mounted to that in the perfect position. I haven't attached the harnesses yet, still need to weld in a harness bar to the B-pillar.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:19 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: 97 Sport
Oooh I like those seats!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:57 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: 1 ton CJ-7
5.9 ZJ 2.0" 31's
5.9 ZJ 3.5" 32's
5.2 ZJ 5.5" 35's
Myke J wrote:

I got that hood louver kit from my wife for Christmas 2012,

Calm your tits, it was Birthday 2013 :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:31 am 
Attention Whorse

2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
Picked up this little gem yesterday. The guy had bought it and used it once for an axle bearing. I got it delivered to me at the brewery for $100 and a case of beer :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:46 am 
Attention Whorse

2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
A long time ago I did a favor for Joe Bunker and he said he'd give me a set of steering linkage in return, and in keeping with the procrastination theme of this thread, almost 5 years later I cashed in on his offer. He made me a solid 4130 Chromoly tierod and a solid 7075 aluminum draglink. Should be pretty damn beefy.

Draglink weighs 4.8lbs

Tierod weighs 23.2lbs

I'm meeting up with a guy on Sunday to trade the 38.5" SX's and 15" Allied beadlocks that I picked up really cheap a few months ago for a set of 17" KMC Enduro beadlocks with 35" Toyo MT's. I could really care less about the Toyos, but it's a smokin deal on my end for the KMC's.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:07 am 
Attention Whorse

2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
It was a balmy 17F yesterday morning, so I decided it was a good time to work in the garage after I found my propane heater. I got a set of four Grand Wagoner front leaf springs that I'll be swapping for the 4" springs that are currently on the YJ. The Waggy springs are 1" longer than YJ springs and give about 2-2.5" of lift over factory springs when used in a SUA setup. The centering pins are also offset 2", so they'll net me an extra 4" of wheelbase for a grand total of ~98".

I picked up a used set of GenRight EXT rear flares off Craigslist super cheap and tossed them on to see how they'll look. I think this is pretty much where I'll leave them mounted, just need to trim back a bunch of the tub. Should give me a fairly balanced wheel well with the small stretch. The 4" lift springs are still installed in this pic.

I threw the first set of springs in the rear, but then realized that I need to drill out my spring plates for the slightly larger Waggy centering pins. I couldn't find the right bit for that, but I did at least get the rear housing sitting on the springs. I'll definitely need to do a little gas tank clearancing to clear the axle with a 2" stretch.

Since I couldn't get any farther with the new springs, I decided to start something I've been putting off for a while, building my first 9" 3rd member :help:
I got all this stuff sometime near the end of the summer and have spent a bunch of time reading books and watching tutorials on setting up axles, so I was only mildly worried about ruining a bunch of expensive stuff.

The Detroit locker for the build was used, so I got started by pulling the old carrier bearings off and pressing on new ones.

Next I installed the ring gear on the Detroit. The Yukon master install kit comes with two different lengths of ring gear bolts and a quick message to Larry confirmed that there are different lengths work with different manufacturer's carriers. His sagely advice was, "Use the ones that don't bottom out." FOP :mad

I applied some Loctite to the ring gear bolts and then slowly tightened them, pulling the ring gear up evenly until it was sung against the carrier.

At this point you need to torque the bolts to 65ft/lbs and the carrier needs to be held stationary while you do it. I had forgotten to ask around to see if anyone had a broken 35 spline shaft that I could make a tool to do this with and I couldn't come up with a good way to clamp the carrier in my vice without damaging it. Then I had a great idea, I bolted one of my rear axle shafts onto a wheel and tire, then I slid the carrier onto the end of the shaft. With all 170lbs of me, plus the wheel and tire weight, it didn't move at all and I was easily able to get the bolts torqued. A little ghetto, yes. Successful and would recommend to a friend, hell yes :f2:

Next I started assembling the pinion cartridge. The first thing I did was press the bearing races into the Daytona style pinion support.

Then pressed the larger of the two pinion bearings onto the pinion, but didn't take a picture of that. At this point you drop on either a crush spacer or, like I'm using, a solid pinion spacer. The solid spacer is actually a two piece design that splits apart and that's where you put the shims to get the correct bearing preload. My solid spacer looked weird and I couldn't find any info online about which way to install it. One end is flat and the other end is tapered, so another phone call to Larry and we figured it out. The flat end goes down towards the head of the pinion and the tapered end goes up towards the yoke end. The tapered end prevents any chance of the solid spacer making contact with the bearing cage of the smaller bearing, which would destroy it in short order.
Flat side

Tapered side

So here's the pinion cartridge mostly assembled. I stopped because I had ran out of propane for the heater and couldn't feel my fingers anymore and also because my yoke didn't come with a dust shield. I'm not completely sure it's necessary, but I figured that I'd ask before going any farther.

Not sure if I'll get anything done today, gotta watch the throwball games and I didn't get more propane for the heater yet. After I finish the 3rd member setup, I'll get the new springs installed at all for corners, install the steering box relocation bracket, 1" body lift, and 1" motor mount. After I get the axles and suspension all setup, I'll install the SYE and build a trans crossmember, which hopefully with the body and motor lift, will let me have a flat belly on this thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:47 am 
Team Cupcake

Vehicle: 97 TJ & 97 XJ
Looks good Myke. If it's ghetto but works, meh. It works :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:16 am 
Attention Whorse

2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
After deciding that the dust shield wasn't necessary, I continued with my 3rd member build. I dropped the carrier and ring gear into the case and started trying to set the backlash. Once I finally got the backlash set at 0.009", the range is 0.006-0.010, I got ready to check my gear pattern. I started to turn the pinion and didn't even get a quarter turn before it wouldn't turn at all, I looked inside and the carrier (35 spline Detroit) was making contact with the pinion bridge area. So I once again contacted Larry, but he hadn't ever seen that before and recommended I contact Brian at Yukon. Brian was super helpful and told me that it's rare, but every once in a while they see this issue specifically with 35 spline Detroits. He also assured me that there wouldn't be any issues with lightly grinding that area for clearance. So I dissembled the 3rd member again, hit the offending area with a fine grit flap disc, gave it a bath in brake cleaner and a high pressure air blowdown, reassembled it, and got back to setting backlash. This time around I ended up with 0.008" and then checked my gear pattern. I was really happy to get a good pattern on the first attempt because I was tired of taking this thing apart.

Here you can see where the carrier and case had a difference of opinion and the mark on the carrier where it scraped when I tried to turn it the first time. I forgot to take a pic of it after grinding.

I couldn't get a good picture of the gear pattern, but it was identical to this.

I also got an acceptable pattern on my beard.

Fully assembled Yukon 3rd member with 35 spline Detroit, 4.56 gears, 1350 billet yoke, and Ruff Stuff pinion guard.

Then I dropped it in the housing and threw it all back into place.

After that I sold a set of wheels and tires for a $600 profit and then called it day in the garage and watched football for the rest of the day. Depending on how much free time I have this week, I'm might be able to toss in the shafts, burn on the caliper mounts, and maybe make it a roller soon :rock:

Last edited by Myke J on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:43 am 
Dragon Wang

Vehicle: Aluminum Falcon
Nice progress homey :thumbsup:

www.instagram.com/pnwjeep_com
www.instagram.com/pnwjeep_yj
www.instagram.com/offtrackmotorsports

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:49 am 
Needy Fucker

Wang90XJ wrote:
Nice progress homey :thumbsup:

Indeed! :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:48 am 
Pimp

Vehicle: 97 Sport
Nice job. We also had to grind Shane's 3rd's IIRC.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:07 pm 
Attention Whorse

2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
Got a chance to hit the garage for about an hour tonight. First thing I did was cut off the ends of my u-bolts, but I didn't take any pictures because it wasn't very exciting. After that I installed the rear axle shafts and started mocking up the brakes.

Since I'm converting from drum to disk brakes on this axle, I needed a 1/8" spacer to go between the bearing retainer and the housing end. I've read that most people just cut out the center of the old drum brake backing plate, but I read that after I'd already scrapped mine. After a bunch of Googling, I found a website that made them super cheap and with free shipping.

The spacer in place. Yes I wiped that blob of goo out of there :f2:

Next is the bearing retainer. This style slips over the axle shaft so you don't have to install it before the axle bearings.

Bearing retainer with spacer installed.

Next was to start mocking up the brakes. First was throwing a rotor on, which is from an 89' Bronco.

After that I had to modify the Ruff Stuff disc brake brackets. They come like this to slip over the end of a brand new fabricated housing, but they obviously won't slip over my bearing ends, so I cut the bottoms off of them.

Chopped

Then I started mocking up the calipers and brackets. The calipers are '73-87 Chevy 3/4 ton units. I'm planning to run them forward of the axle to avoid any shock clearance issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:52 pm 

Vehicle: 99 TJ
08 Dmax
It's coming along good man....what r your plans for the gas tank? U gonna clearance it or replace with a stretch tank or cell?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:50 am 
Attention Whorse

2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
upsguy wrote:
It's coming along good man....what r your plans for the gas tank? U gonna clearance it or replace with a stretch tank or cell?

The plan is to clearance for now, that'll give me the couple extra inches I need. When/if I stretch the rear farther, I'll do a Genright tank, but I've read that guys are getting 4-5" of stretch with clearancing the factory tank.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:17 am 
Needy Fucker

Myke J wrote:
upsguy wrote:

The plan is to clearance for now, that'll give me the couple extra inches I need. When/if I stretch the rear farther, I'll do a Genright tank, but I've read that guys are getting 4-5" of stretch with clearancing the factory tank.

What's this involve? A BFH? Or do you drain the tank and cut/weld a cavity for the diff to cycle through?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:19 am 
Attention Whorse

2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
dr drae wrote:
Myke J wrote:
upsguy wrote:

What's this involve? A BFH? Or do you drain the tank and cut/weld a cavity for the diff to cycle through?

Here's a write up on the subject, along with a bunch of examples. Some are better looking than others, so YMMV. You'll recognize a few of our locals posting in that thread too.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/817258-rear-stretch-modified-stock-yj-plasic-fuel-tank.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:11 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: yep
Back in the day, I started my modified tank with a BFH (want a dent/not a hole!). Then the critical step was driving over a railroad crossinging on a warm day. 14bolt did the rest!

FullStack MotorSports. For all levels of performance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:15 am 
Attention Whorse

2015 Ram 2500 6.4L
oltmann wrote:
Back in the day, I started my modified tank with a BFH (want a dent/not a hole!). Then the critical step was driving over a railroad crossinging on a warm day. 14bolt did the rest!

2" stretch with a factory 9" housing, I could probably get by with the BFH approach :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:03 pm 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 88 yj HP 60 front, 60 rear, Detroits, AW4 auto, flipped 300, 37s, mild stretch, linked up
I have 4 inches of stretch in the rear of my YJ and I notched the tank just like in the pirate article. Very easy. I had 2 inches of stretch with a Dana 60 housing and just let it self clearance itself.

Attachments:
File comment: here is a better picture
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 44.83 KiB | Viewed 8392 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 45.31 KiB | Viewed 8400 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:21 pm 

Vehicle: 99 TJ
08 Dmax
Cool...I'm still trying to decide if I wanna do a stretch on mine and that makes the idea better cause the cost of the genright tank has been detouring me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next