www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:16 am 
Im not a player, I just post alot.

Vehicle: 4500ish TJ, 2013 Raptor SCrew
Been driving this on the street a little bit here and there. Took it to the scales and had it weighed. 4500 lbs with me in it, full fuel, but no skid plates. No tailgate (30 lbs) and only had recovery gear in it. Without myself and fuel, Jeep would weigh approximately 4250 with skids bolted back on. I'm pretty happy with that, but I may try to knock off ~250lbs later on.

Here's a breakdown of the potential savings for each item (not their weight, the SAVINGS):

Convert main skid to 6061: 50 lbs
Convert Links to 7075: 20 lbs
Replace tailgate with 6061: 25 lbs
Convert rockers to 6061: 70 lbs
Swap corner armor to 6061: 50 lbs
Convert engine skid to 6061: 16 lbs

This is all based on density, areas, known weights, and first hand knowledge from fellow Jeepers. I don't see links as a worthwhile swap considering I have chromo links. If I swap all that out, I'd save 226 lbs plus the weight of the fuel cell swap that I'd like to do, another 80 lbs if I swapped in an aluminum block LS. Keep in mind, there's no spare tire back there, so that adds ~150 lbs with a mount. If I chop off the rear frame I'd potentially save a little bit more. I think it's possible to make this TJ around 4300 lbs race-ready.

Made up some new rear shock mounts that are 0.75" lower. Should be able to redrill the lower mount and drop it another 0.5". This should get me another ~1.25" in rear uptravel which will help quite a bit in the big stuff. Going to stick with 2.0 C/Os for a while longer. Still need to notch my frame!

Picked up a SWAG finger brake and a Crossfire plasma CNC. Crossfire should be here next month. I'll let you all know how I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:18 pm 

Not sure where your reply went PNWJeeper but the table should be sweet. :dunno: :mrgreen:

Forgot to post these random driveway shots of the mall crawler. Been driving it on the weekends and might put it into a car show soon. Hoping to have my half doors done and on the Jeep with the 3D printed hinges in the next couple weeks. Also hoping to get out to Naches in the middle of July.

My other two projects. The 2008 BMW 135i is getting two new OEM turbos and fluids. 300hp/300ft-lbs from the factory. It's getting a 7" intercooler, a tune, intake, and downpipes next year. Raptor is getting a trans tune and 37s with mid perch. I'll grab some 2.5 4" bumps and fab mounts for it eventually. This is my main DD so not much to change on it to keep it reliable and somewhat of a sleeper for the dunes and whoops runs.

diggin this side profile

Also forgot to post this. 2 degree camber bushings :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:24 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: 98-TJ
BMW needs this:

http://www.ad-eng.net/store/p25/AD_Engi ... i_%29.html

and

http://www.ad-eng.net/store/p44/ADE_135 ... _Kit_.html

and

I think he has a 4L80 trans kits coming out....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:27 pm 

ryan2l wrote:

That is pretty cool! I’ve seen the single turbo setups but that’s different. Also like his 8.8 conversion. I’m not planning to beat on mine so hopefully the rear end will last. There’s quite a few guys running 500hp with bolt ons so I’m going that route first. I doubt I’ll want more than that for quite a while! Thanks for posting these, I’ll save them for later. :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:24 pm 

Got out and hit Naches yesterday. Pretty fun jamming the logging roads with the new power. Jeep held steady at 60 mph with no major issues. Steering is super smooth and stable, jeep itself is also extremely stable. Still have a number of small items to clean up and fix. Main focus after this is fixing the rear clearance problems and making a new rear frame. Links hit the frame and I'm out of space with the truss to the tub so I need to come up with something different or start cutting into the tub. I'll be putting all my numbers into the 4 link calc and doing some digging on how I can make this better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:43 pm 

My current 4link numbers vs the proposed change I'm thinking of doing. Lower the upper mount at the axle 3.5" and push out ~8" from center. I think this would retain enough triangulation and also keep my geometry where I want it. I need to refresh my understanding on roll axis angle, instant center, and travel roll axis.

If anyone has input, I'm all ears. I'm no expert, just applying some of the things I've learned.

Current geometry:
https://i.imgur.com/ZDrmVsD.png

Proposed geometry:
https://i.imgur.com/HX291wa.png

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:59 pm 

Almost forgot - looking to chop rear frame sometime after summer. Should be adding 2.5x14 triple bypasses in the rear and 2.5 Coilovers in front to replace the 2.0s.

Here's the proposed rear frame and you can also see the proposed UCA mount for the axle. This would allow 9" of travel at the current ride height. So I can actually drop the rear another 2" while keeping 7" travel without cutting into the floor of the tub. I would need to cut holes for the shocks but I haven't designed those mounts yet. More on that later. Second crossmember behind the tub line is for the sway bar and adds more strength to the hitch. There will be plates covering the space between the tubes with reverse dimpled holes with serrations for grip. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:13 pm 

Someone asked about my rear shock mounts and I realized I never posted the result of my changes. This will probably shed light on the tabs welded to the square plate seen earlier in this thread. 1/4-20 hardware, sandwhiches the tub. Plenty strong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19