www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:08 am 
Im not a player, I just post alot.

Vehicle: 92 YJ with super slow cool guy parts
Time for a little update. I haven't had much time to work in the garage lately but I took the weekend off from my other projects and events to get some progress done on the old pickup. Thursday night, I finished plumbing the pressure side of the fuel system and started on the return side but ended up needing more fittings so the fuel system had to wait a little longer. I was happy with how everything was looking from underneath but when I got top side, I couldn't live with what I had.

This is how the feed line to the rail came out. It just didn't look right and I wasn't happy with that.

Friday night, I fixed that with a longer piece of AN that runs from the regulator up to the rail. Much much cleaner and looks like it was supposed to be like that.

Saturday, I had some running around to do in the morning but my AN fittings were in so I was able to get those on my way home and plumb finish the fuel lines. One thing I had to do was swing by my buddy's place and cut the final version of my coil pack brackets out on his plasma table. I wasn't sure how they would look after seeing them in CAD but I'm super happy with how they turned out.

New on the left, old on the right

Looks good on there!

While I was waiting for the paint to dry on the brackets, I took the time to clean the valve covers up and shoot them Chevy Orange. They turned out awesome.

Looking real good at this point and I was super stoked to see it all together!

Sunday morning, bright and early, my buddy Sean showed up and we got right to business. We started the morning off by taking the front clip apart and getting the inner fenders and core support bolted on the truck. From there, we were able to basically finish the motor install, all the wiring, radiator, air intake, etc. Here he is cutting a hole in the inner fender to mount my relay and fuse block for the 5.3. After that, we figured out where the ECU will sit, it'll be tucked down between the radiator and the motor so it will not draw any attention to it. Can't wait to get the mount done for it!

Gettin his cutting on!

This is where it ended up, looks super good here!

We had to go pick Sean's Coyote F100 up from being on display at the Performance Warehouse tradeshow and while we were out and about, we picked up some remaining wiring items, radiator hoses and some other miscellaneous items we needed. When we got back, I had a phone call to make and when I was done, I walked into the garage to see this. Holy crap, it's coming together!

I finished wiring the fuel pump and then we started working on getting the bed wood back in place. Some HUGE progress was made on the old girl over the weekend and I can't be happier with where it is right now. I truly have great friends that are willing to jump in and kick my butt into high gear. Wouldn't change them for the world!

The theory behind the install is that the motor needs to look at home, like it could've come this way from the factory and I gotta say, I nailed it.

My obligatory progress board shot. These items were all completed yesterday, it was a hell of a good day in the garage!

Check back soon for the first start :rock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:19 am 
Pimp

Vehicle: Tee-jay
Looks great. What did you do for fuel pump? My cell plate takes a factory canister GM pump.

Also, where did you get your intake piping from?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:35 am 

Paul wrote:
Looks great. What did you do for fuel pump? My cell plate takes a factory canister GM pump.

Also, where did you get your intake piping from?

Ended up doing a Walbro 255 with a Corvette regulator.

Intake is this kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-BLACK-GMC-Che ... fn&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:59 am 

Last night, my buddy Sean came back to button up the wiring under the hood and to finish the hole for the fuel filler in the bed wood. My dad also stopped by and helped out finishing the bed wood install and a few other odds and ends. It's pretty great how much you can get done with 3 people all keeping busy! The wiring is basically finished, I finally wired in my reverse lights while dad wired in the fuel sending unit. What an awesome and productive Monday night!

The rain and snow took a toll on the wood last year, it's still in great shape but ultimately I will be ditching it for a steel floor at some point.

The filler just didn't look right on the truck but after a coat of OD Green, she looks right at home. I'm not a fan of the fillers out there that go through the bed but I have yet to see a stepside filler that I like so I went through the floor.

Sean does some amazing wiring work, I'm super thankful that he's willing to take the time to wire this for me, I couldn't make it look half as nice!

Here, you can kinda see where the computer ended up. I'll make a mount off of the crossmember to hold it at an angle. I like where it's at, it doesn't draw attention to it and fits really good there.

And, of course, the obligatory to-do list picture

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:19 am 

Got a bunch done over the weekend again. Saturday evening, we buttoned up a few things and this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qHzbH5ai-c

Super excited, it fired right up first try. I still have a couple things to do, it's got some vacuum leaks I need to plug and such but it runs!

Last night, my dad came by and we busted out the front clip and the seat. It sure looks awesome sitting on the ground and almost assembled. I love how unsuspecting it looks :metal:

I put LED bulbs in the dash lights, I was worried about them being too bright but they are perfect! Someday I will change the tach light to match but it'll be ok for now

I also modified the parking light harness so they stay on with the headlights. I'm hoping it adds a little more contrast to the front of the truck at night. I'm always on edge driving it at night because people don't seem to notice it :bang:

I drop it off for exhaust Wednesday night, hopefully the driveline is done this week because then I can drive it around this weekend. So stoked!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:31 am 

I drop the old girl off for exhaust after work tomorrow so I'm in the big push to get it all together. Last night I built the mount for the ECU. I put it in an S10 mount and made a couple little straps off the frame. Simple and effective!

I also started getting coolant in it and after a few minutes, I heard coolant hitting the floor and about shit a brick. Looked like it was coming from the head gasket so I was pretty bummed. I cracked one of the front steam ports open to bleed the air out of the system and forgot about that. Coolant was running from there, down the valley cover and down the back of the head. Phew!

Check the list out, it's getting down to the nitty gritty now, I love it! :metal:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:46 pm 
Turns out, firewood DOES grow on trees!

Vehicle: FFZJ
This is going to be one sweet truck when you're done dude. :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:28 am 
Pimp

Vehicle: Tee-jay
The engine makes me happy. Makes the whole truck. Nice work, Scoot!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:46 am 

Thanks guys! I plugged all the vacuum leaks and the idle is right where it should be and nice and smooth. The exhaust is getting done today and the driveline will be done by tomorrow so I'm hoping for a Saturday drive. I'm extremely happy with how everything turned out, I can't wait to drive this thing again! :rock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:02 am 

I haven't been doing a good job keeping this thread updated. I got it out on the road for the first time May 6th and drove it all weekend with no real problems to speak of. That Monday, I drove it to work and when I left for lunch, I pushed the clutch in and heard a snap followed by a non-working clutch. I had snapped the pushrod for the slave cylinder at the clutch fork.

First weekend out and about. Of course I had to swing by my buddy's shop to help him out and grab a picture while I was there

Dad came to the rescue with his 69 K20 and the trailer, it's sure a good looking combination!

I messed with the slave cylinder a bunch but never could get it working "right". It would consistently stop working after driving it for a bit so I put it on hold for a couple weeks while I focused on the Oregon Trophy Challenge and Jeep Jamboree. Monday night, I got on it again and built a new slave cylinder bracket and I think I fixed that problem. Drove it to work and back yesterday with no problems to speak of. Progress!

I couldn't resist taking it for a drive with my pup after I got the slave cylinder worked out. This is one of my happy places and I enjoyed every minute of it. This is what it's all about.

She also made the drive in to work! I figure the drive home will be a great test to see how the clutch is working as I'll be in a bit of traffic.

Last night, I started converting it over to 5 lug. It's going to be badass and really grip the pavement now! Some knuckhead forgot to order lug nuts so this is as far as I could get last night.

Quite a bit of difference in height and width, my 235/75s on the right.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:10 am 
Never go full Rich-ard

Vehicle: V8 TJ
Those wheels are sweet! First glance says steel rallyes but the lug pockets say otherwise. What are they?

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:
When times get tough fat people get thin, thin people get dead.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:59 am 

Avanteone wrote:
Those wheels are sweet! First glance says steel rallyes but the lug pockets say otherwise. What are they?

They are Rev 107 aluminum rally wheels. I had them powdercoated black to keep the same look it had before but they are a great wheel for the price!

http://www.rev-wheels.com/rev-wheel.cfm ... 8&cat=1270

I bought them here. At $125 a piece, they are hard to beat but they are made in China so that might sway some people away from them.
https://onlinewheelsdirect.com/rev-4691.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:02 am 

Got the 5 lug swap done last night and I wasn't sure if I could fall in love with this thing anymore but it happened. Wheels are 18X9 Rev 107s that I had powdercoated black and tires are 275/40r18 Hankook Ventus R-S4s. The fit on the rear fenders couldn't be more perfect, it has about 1/2" clearance between the inside of the tire and the bed. I need to get it in for an alignment soon but holy cow is this thing fun now!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:48 am 
Needy Fucker

Vehicle: '12 Moo
:drool: :drool: :drool:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:58 am 

I enjoyed 2 cruise ins and a car show over the weekend and was amazed at the attention it received. I heard the word perfect more than once and that totally blew me away. I'm just a guy doing what I love in my garage so it really means a lot to hear all the positive comments :rock:

Every Friday night during the summer, there is a cruise in at a Dairy Queen not too far from my house. It's all cool cars and everyone is pretty great to be around. I talked with my parents and we all showed up, they were in dad's 69 K20 and had a blast!

Saturday night, there was a cruise in in Vancouver. Normally there is an event called Cruisin the Gut but this year they didn't get their permit so a couple other groups took it over and moved it just outside of the downtown area. I had forgotten all about it so I showed up late but I had a great time and will definitely go again!

I got home from that around 11:00 and a buddy suggested that I show up at the Tigard Balloon Festival Car Show. It's literally across the street from the house so I got up early on Sunday and gave the pickup a quick cleaning and showed up. Lots of cool cars out there but I'm starting to realize why a lot of my friends have a strong dislike for judged shows. What went home with a trophy didn't always make sense. I may not have a trophy winning truck (built it to use it not to show it) but it gets so much respect and attention which is worth way more to me than a silly trophy :cheers:

I had an awesome weekend with the old pickup, this thing is such an awesome little truck and driver!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:50 pm 

Played racetruck with it yesterday, gotta say that I'm hooked! The old girl did really well and I have a couple things to work on but I can't wait until the next one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOvkHTF_u-A

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:05 am 

I've been keeping an eye out for a new cab with a big back window for some time now and I looked at a couple cabs with small windows that were better and worse than what I have at the same time. A big window cab popped up at a wrecking yard a couple hours away from the house so dad and I loaded up with the trailer and headed up Saturday morning with the intentions of bringing the whole cab back. Turns out, a guy has been looking at the cab for 3 weeks and beat us out by like 10 minutes, dangit! Overall, that cab was way more gone than what I had and he just wanted the big window panel. Feeling bummed, dad and I walked the yard in search of another big window cab that I saw in their inventory list the night before. We found it and the cab was untouched. Since it was a knee-knocker cab, I was only interested in the back of the cab so we went to work cutting the cab up. Pretty excited to add this to the list of winter projects this year.

Dad starting the cuts at the roof

Success!

Felt like the trailer was a little overkill for this but we did head up with the intentions of bringing a whole cab back so I guess I had to use the trailer

For the conversion, I will be cutting the interior panels out of each cab and spot welding the big panel onto my cab. That process looks to be pretty straightforward with minimal paint damage.