www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Manastash Ridge - 7/3-4
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:04 pm 
whew, finally

Headed east at night after work on Monday. Ran Tripod Flats to Shoestring and setup camp somewhere on that trail.

Finished Shoestring in the morning with a detour to the rock garden, cracked a mirror yet again coming out, took String to Tipover, and down to Moon Rocks.

Went up some line in Moon Rocks a bit beyond the capability of my Jeep. Couldn't get through the final section and I was so off angle that after a few minutes of trying I was burning oil putting out a cloud, then my fuel pickup was no longer submerged, read empty, and stalled out. High centered on my slider, couldn't back off. Pulled cable up to a big rock formation and pulled up with the engine off, but just before finishing this huge rock piece broke off (with maybe a 4-6 square foot shear plane - incredible - very thankful it stopped before crashing into the Jeep). Rolled back enough when the anchor broke to no longer be high centered so backed off at that point, got the engine started, and backed down the whole line. Right at the end sliced open a side wall on the final rock (conveniently, the one that I rotated the wheel/tire last weekend, so that one's just done and I don't need to balance it!)

Swapped out my tire and exited via the forest road to 410. Now I get to figure out how to take Hutchinson wheels apart.

Saw only one vehicle on the trails all day at Moon Rocks, who kindly offered some help dealing with my mess in there. Thought it'd be a party up there, but I guess everyone was traveling home.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:28 pm 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 1978 CJ5
You were very near us yesterday. We were camping behind Manashtash Campground and ran up Tripod Flats Trail yesterday afternoon. My plan was to go over to Funny Rocks/Moon Rocks, but I turned left and went down to Lost Lake instead. Don't know why, but I'm drawn down there. I'd have come over and participated in your debacle had I known you were there. Was borrowing my Dad's CJ-7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:20 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: '09 2dr JK
snow wrote:

That's a good line, the bottom "S" curve is fun. The rock you're hung up on in this picture did work to the tub of my jeep.

Post subject: Manastash Ridge - 7/3-4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:58 pm 
Why does my nose hurt?

Cool night shots