www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:35 pm 
whew, finally

Vehicle: '09 2dr JK
I took a break from snow wheeling this winter and spent 3 days at Sand Lake Oregon. Myself and about a dozen of my buddies headed down Friday morning to play in the sand. They all have quads and side by sides and I took the Jeep. :thumbsup: I had a great time. The weather was crazy as we expected in February on the Oregon coast. It snowed on the drive down, rained Friday, gorgeous Saturday, thunder storms Saturday night and into Sunday morning and kind of off and on on Sunday. Anyway, here are pic's.
I took the long way there and drove through Astoria and along the coast. I haven't driven along the coast in years. It was nice to avoid portland traffic at 8:00 Friday morning.
A bunch of these big oh ships in Astoria.
As soon as we got there, my buddy Jeremy unloaded his Turbo RZR. He had just done a bunch of work to it, exhaust, programmer, blow off valve, new paddle tires and beadlocks, etc. Anyway, he wanted to see how it'd do. I jumped in with him. Sure enough, within 15 minutes we rolled it 1 3/4 times. Here are the impressions his cool aluminum roof leave in the sand when rolling.
During the roll his elbow hit his door hard enough to open it, so it was open when his side hit the sand, it's no longer functional.
Cage and roof are junk now.
After we spent some time recovering and popping every amount of pain pill we could find. We went out to play some more. Here are a just a few random pic's.

I got to pull this Duramax out to cheers from the campground spectators.

Friday night consisted of a lot of drinking, a night run, a blown up banchee motor and a whole bunch of "fish stories." I woke up way before everyone else so I took an early morning drive. Here's a shot of Saturday mornings sunrise from the beach looking east.... obviously.

This is Cell Phone Hill, it's the only place I could get cell service. Not a bad view to bring in the morning with a severe headache from Fridays adventures.
I was stalking my shadow.
I headed back to camp and a few of the guys were up and moving so I made some breakfast.
After breakfast I sat in my ARB chair and watched some drag racing. It was nice to sit on my trailer deck and just chill in the morning sun.
Saturday we spent the whole day playing in the dunes. I drove my Jeep like it was a side by side, at least as much as it would let me. Even with the traction control off, the ESB is active enough that in the soft sand or any real side hill, it was limiting me to about 45-50 mph. Across the beach where the hard pack was I could do about 70-75 before it'd start limitting me. I need to wire up the ESB kill switch before I head to the dunes again. I am really happy with the Metalcloak springs and Fox shocks. I got air a few times and it was super smooth. I'm am truly surprised my Jeep survived the weekend. Here's a few random Saturday pic's.

We got really good at replacing Polaris RZR drive belts. We did 3 of them this weekend between the 2 RZR's.
I found some places to do a little crawling.

Saturday night was another chaotic night. A couple night runs, Jeremy bottomed out his rzr so bad he hurt his back, Marky wrecked his quad and broke/fractured a few ribs. We blew up another Banchee motor, we lit off some fireworks and we did some drinking. All in all a great night. Again, I woke up before everyone Sunday, so I went for another morning drive. It rained HARD Saturday night so there was a lot of water in places there wasn't water before.
Looking North.
Looking South.

A great trip. I'm super sore today, but it was worth it. I am extremely happy with my Jeep. I don't think I've ever beat on it that hard before and it took everything without an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:08 pm 
Needy Fucker

Vehicle: '12 Moo
Looks fun! Dunes can be fun year round if you're prepared.

(I know a good Chiropractor... )

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:04 pm 
whew, finally

Good report :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing the pics.

That's a lot of pry bars to get the belt off! Did someone lose the sheave opening screw?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:38 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: '09 2dr JK
Barnyard wrote:

That's a lot of pry bars to get the belt off! Did someone lose the sheave opening screw?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here, I don't know all the proper terminology.

Here's the story. When the first belt broke, it blew up, left little pieces of belt shrapnel everywhere. We cleaned it all up and put a replacement belt on it. We ran it around, but we kept getting a belt squeal at heavy throttle take off and when trying to maintain high speeds. So this picture was us holding the clutch open so we could remove each of the little fingers that hold the magnetic weights. We were checking to see if any debri was stuck in there or if he somehow lost a weight. We didn't know what was causing the squealing. It wasn't until the other RZR blew a belt that we realized the first replacement belt we installed was incorrect and was too narrow. That's why it was squealing. The little parts store just off the beach got us for $500 on two new belts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:46 am 
whew, finally

mdash wrote:
Barnyard wrote:

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here, I don't know all the proper terminology.

Here's the story. When the first belt broke, it blew up, left little pieces of belt shrapnel everywhere. We cleaned it all up and put a replacement belt on it. We ran it around, but we kept getting a belt squeal at heavy throttle take off and when trying to maintain high speeds. So this picture was us holding the clutch open so we could remove each of the little fingers that hold the magnetic weights. We were checking to see if any debri was stuck in there or if he somehow lost a weight. We didn't know what was causing the squealing. It wasn't until the other RZR blew a belt that we realized the first replacement belt we installed was incorrect and was too narrow. That's why it was squealing. The little parts store just off the beach got us for $500 on two new belts.

Gotcha, makes sense now. Polaris is very proud of their belts :thumbsdown: 800cc sled belts are over $200 now also. I remember when $80 was an expensive belt!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:11 pm 
Pimp

Good ol Forest and the corner Sand Lake store will get ya everytime. I bought some race gas from him once because the weather was nice and didnt plan to burn through as much as we did on our banshees.

I do miss the dunes and my old banshee. For a built stock motor'd bike it was a ripper.