www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:11 pm 
whew, finally

I few weeks ago I was on the interwebs and came across a picture of the Boulder De Roux dirtbike trail in the Teanaway area. I did some more reading and found it listed as one of the top 5 hardest marked trails in WA.

I did some flying via Google and picked out a route I thought would work leaving from just north of Ronald. My plan was to head into the West Fork of Teanaway from Ronald on a FS Road. From there I planned to take another dirt track to the start of the Middle Fork Trail which heads north up the Middle Fork of the Teanaway River. This trail would take us through Jungle Creek and Way Creek. From there I spied a connector trail which switchbacks up to the saddle of Hex Mountain and then back down the other side into the Boulder De Roux drainage where the trail starts.

Boulder De Roux tops out at Gallagher Head Lake near Hawkins Moutain where we snowmobile in the winter. From there my plan was to take a Jeep trail to the start of the Boulder Creek Trail which would take us back down the mountain to the end of FS140...and then on to Salmon La Sac.

I ran my plan by my buddy Justin (the newly re-named Lakesidedrifter) and he took about half a second to say "Yup." We took off on Sunday, October 5th.

The route worked as we hoped and before long we were bashing up the Middle Fork trail as it crosses the river in about 15 different freaking spots. Once we hit the Hex Mountain saddle, the trail got super technical and steep as it dropped down to Boulder De Roux.

The Boulder De Roux trail is a nasty, rocky, & steep bastard that climbs all the way to Gallagher Head Lake. Once we got to Gallagher, we cruised up to the base of Hawkins Mountain and had some snacks. From there we found the start of the Boulder Creek Trail which follows said creek all the way down the mountain going back in a S/W direction.

All told, our loop was only 51 miles but we were beat. Boulder De Roux was definitely the most consistently technical trail I have been on yet. The scenery was amazing up there and it was cool to come into Gallagher Head from a different direction than we do in the winter months. We never saw a soul except for a few hiking folks at the start of the Middle Fork Trail and some backpackers when we got up to Gallagher.

First is the 1080p HD video from the ride. No tunes on this one but I linked the whole route into shorter clips. If you get impatient watching the Utube...the good (steep) stuff starts around the 5 minute mark. Don't mind the mumbling...I do that when I am about to fall off a cliff.

Below is the photo that inspired this adventure and a picture of the bikes at Hawkins.

Attachments:
46769581_FGaBw-M-1.jpg
46769581_FGaBw-M-1.jpg [ 147.16 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]
CIMG9516.JPG
CIMG9516.JPG [ 550.18 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:10 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Good video , I`ve never been in that area , When I did dual sport I heard of trails there . Thanks for sharing the ride.