www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PCRC NW Challenge 2014
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:22 am 
Im not a player, I just post alot.

Vehicle: 92 YJ with super slow cool guy parts
Dad and I teamed up in his Defender for the 2014 NW Challenge up in Naches. The event is similar to the Trophy Challenge in that there are waypoints to find and special tasks to do but it's a more laid back atmosphere for the most part. This was my 3rd one competing in and I think the same for dad as well. They sent us out in pairs just to make sure that everyone makes it back to camp safe and sound but we were in competition with the team that we were grouped with.

This year was a bit different than the traditional NWCs that dad and I have done in that we were given about 75 waypoints to find and 5 mandatory waypoints to find. Time management was key and we quickly discovered that there was no way to get all the waypoints, they each had a point value from 5 to 20, so we focused on getting the mandatory waypoints and collecting our cards for our poker hand. I haven't ridden with dad in a competition setting in quite a while, if ever, and I found out quickly where I get my competitive driving edge from. He threw that D90 around the gravel roads like it was a Subaru and was laughing his butt off the whole time. Motornoggin, does that sound like someone you've ridden with? :roflmao:

Loaded up and ready to hit the road

They sent us up HWY12 to 410 to get some information that would help us get the mandatory waypoint coordinates for the event.

Friday night consisted of about 30 waypoints and 2 mandatory waypoints. One mandatory was right below the Naches Pass trail sign and the 2nd was up on top of Raven's Roost. We didn't have time to get the Raven's Roost waypoint until Saturday morning.

Waiting for our turn at the first task Saturday morning

We ended up running Kaner up to Aardvark hill and mob down through Lily Pond to get to the 3rd mandatory waypoint. There was a bonus for getting a picture of your vehicle climbing the left line on Aardvark and, of course, dad chose that route. Can't take the easy lines when there's a bonus involved! We unfortunately passed a whole bunch of 20 point waypoints but we were on a mission to get to the mandatory waypoint before it closed. From there, we tried to get a couple more waypoints but we were running low on time, had to be back to the Kaner Flat campground by 7, and the 4th mandatory was 23 miles away on top of Bald Mountain so we boogied over to get that and head back to camp.

We were able to figure out 4 out of the 5 mandatory waypoints, this is the only information that we were given for the 5th waypoint :dunno:

We were given 5 envelopes with the coordinates for the mandatory waypoints but there was a penalty for opening the envelopes. We chose to not get it and leave the envelope sealed up not knowing the points for getting the waypoint or the penalty for opening the envelope.

Sunday had one more special task for us to complete. We had to connect 2 trucks together and run a trials course. There were point deductions for hitting cones, backing up, and letting the strap touch the ground. I didn't get any pictures of our method but I'm sure someone did so I'll post it up later. Our group won that event :thumbsup: .

Dad and I both had a blast and we brought home 1 individual task win, 2 group task wins, and a 2nd place overall. We can't wait for next year!

More pictures and videos to follow...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:22 pm 
Why does my nose hurt?

I drove past your group Sunday morning in the Dodge. I was camped with my in laws up off 1904. I would've stopped but was on a firewood collecting mission. Looked like some cool old vehicles were out.