www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Stampede Pass Attempt
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:11 am 
Pimp

Vehicle: 04 LJ
I wanted to get out Saturday and see if we could make it all the way from SR410 to I90 via forest service roads via Stampede Pass. This was also the first time we had taken my son off a paved road. So we loaded up the Jeep and headed up 410 to FS70,
Attachment:
1 Roll Out.jpg
1 Roll Out.jpg [ 131.44 KiB | Viewed 9490 times ]

When we got to FS 7030 we aired down to make the ride a little more comfortable, Brenton was already asleep
Attachment:
2 Air Down.jpg
2 Air Down.jpg [ 173.31 KiB | Viewed 9490 times ]

Attachment:
3 Passed Out.jpg
3 Passed Out.jpg [ 128.74 KiB | Viewed 9490 times ]

We took a right on FS7036 and kept climbing
Just before you get to FS195 there is a large pond where we saw 6 elk (3 Cows and 3 Calfs)
Attachment:
4 Elk.jpg
4 Elk.jpg [ 164.1 KiB | Viewed 9490 times ]

Towards the top of FS195 we came across snow still blocking the road, the GPS said we were at about 5400'
Attachment:
5 Snow.jpg
5 Snow.jpg [ 182.14 KiB | Viewed 9490 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:14 am 
Pimp

We decided to turn back and explore a couple of other roads so we went back down to FS7036 and headed to the top to eat lunch and let Brenton out of his car seat
Attachment:
6 Lunch.jpg
6 Lunch.jpg [ 106.79 KiB | Viewed 9488 times ]

He pulled the Garmin off the dash and thought it was a cell phone
Attachment:
7 B.jpg
7 B.jpg [ 111.64 KiB | Viewed 9488 times ]

Attachment:
8.JPG
8.JPG [ 132.89 KiB | Viewed 9488 times ]

We heard a little chatter on the VHF at the top of 7036 but couldn't make it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:50 am 
Village Elder

Vehicle: '04 Jeep LJ, '72 Toyota FJ40 LandCRAWLer
Your kid is pretty bright if he's already picking out his own clothes. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:27 am 
Medium Pulp

Do you know the route well... Any interest in posting directions? I'd like to do this someday.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:56 am 
Pimp

dirk wrote:
Do you know the route well... Any interest in posting directions? I'd like to do this someday.

I plotted it with the GPS, I haven't done the full route yet but looked up the rest on my garmin...I will be making another attempt in a few weeks and can post up the GPX file or you can tag along

I have gone as far as the meadow off FS52, From there I believe I turn on FS54 which should take me all the way to southeast side of Kechelus Lake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:05 am 
Pimp

John90XJ wrote:
Your kid is pretty bright if he's already picking out his own clothes. :thumbsup:

He has almost outgrown that one...guess I need to buy another

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:43 pm 
I'm secret-spot HOT

Vehicle: Snow camo'd 2000 XJ
Sounds like good times. I keep saying one of these days I'm gonna go up there and check out Lester. I've heard most of the buildings are gone but there are still one or two standing. The last resident died in 2002

http://www.ghosttownsofwashington.com/Lester.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:03 pm 
Pimp

ChrisL wrote:
Sounds like good times. I keep saying one of these days I'm gonna go up there and check out Lester. I've heard most of the buildings are gone but there are still one or two standing. The last resident died in 2002

http://www.ghosttownsofwashington.com/Lester.html

I saw that on google earth, looks like you have to hike in but I think we may do that on the next pass through

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:27 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: 2001 XJ
dirk wrote:

Here you go Big Dog!

I have been this route a few hundred times.... It's great for a day / weekend of just getting out and seeing some great country.

If you have any questions, just ask.... I know this area like the back of my hand.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47.3052 ... !3e0?hl=en

HOME OF THE FREE,
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

http://www.AsgElectric.com
http://www.auburncarrepair.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:21 pm 
whew, finally

Towards the top of FS195 we came across snow still blocking the road, the GPS said we were at about 5400'
Attachment:
5 Snow.jpg
[/quote]

We went through there on the bikes week before last. That is usually the last part of that route to melt off. After the snow crossing we dropped off toward Manashtash instead of heading down to Stampede though.

about 24 secs into the vid for the snowbank crossing...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36343

I think there is a still a gate in Lester and you have to walk in a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:26 pm 
Needy Fucker

Vehicle: '12 Moo
Fun family outing, Jeep looks great... :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:08 am 
you guessed it, web wheeler

Vehicle: '06 TJ
Next time you run this I am interested in tagging along if possible.. I tried running it once.. Missed a turn and ended up at Whistlin Jacks.. :bang:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:32 am 

Vehicle: 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Looks familiar. My father and I were on the other side of that snow bank on Sunday. We started on the east side of Kachess lake. I think (my father was the navigator for the most part in his LC80) we back tracked down the hill and ended up going over near Pyramid peak? and dropping on FS70 into Greenwater

If it weren't for the cliff on the downside of the snow bank, it would have been fun trying to cross it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:55 pm 
whew, finally

Vehicle: '95 YJ
Going to try finding my way over this route some day. Looks like a great time in the hills!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:22 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I`ve done that trip over the pass to I 90 and also the other way out crossed the river and came out at Easton.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:03 pm 

Vehicle: 2013 JKU
Awesome pictures! looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Just joined the forums and very interested in exploring some of these service roads! I live in Bonnkey Lake so its really close to me. My girlfriend and I are looking to go out and start exploring next weekend, are there any good maps available to show the different service roads, or is GPS best? Also looking for some points of interest, the town of Lester looks cool. Thinking we'll try the route going to I90 if that snow has melted enough. Otherwise just putt around and see what we run into!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Already saved that route you posted EastCreek, thanks! :thumbsup:

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:26 am 
Pimp

Vehicle: 2001 XJ
Shermanator2411 wrote:
Already saved that route you posted EastCreek, thanks!

:thumbsup: No problem.

Shermanator2411 wrote:
are there any good maps available to show the different service roads, or is GPS best?

I have one of these and love it.

http://www.benchmarkmaps.com/products-p ... tion-atlas

If you know you want to get very detailed in a specific area, the USFS also sells maps at the different ranger stations.

HOME OF THE FREE,
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

http://www.AsgElectric.com
http://www.auburncarrepair.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:07 am 

Shermanator2411 wrote:

Just joined the forums and very interested in exploring some of these service roads! I live in Bonnkey Lake so its really close to me. My girlfriend and I are looking to go out and start exploring next weekend, are there any good maps available to show the different service roads, or is GPS best? Also looking for some points of interest, the town of Lester looks cool. Thinking we'll try the route going to I90 if that snow has melted enough. Otherwise just putt around and see what we run into!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Already saved that route you posted EastCreek, thanks! :thumbsup:

Greg

I am looking at going up this weekend.. I am pretty familiar with FS70 and a lot of other roads off of 410 if you want to meet up.. My gf and I live in Auburn..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:34 am 
whew, finally

Matty wrote:
Shermanator2411 wrote:

Greg

I am looking at going up this weekend.. I am pretty familiar with FS70 and a lot of other roads off of 410 if you want to meet up.. My gf and I live in Auburn..
Are you doing this on Sat ? I was looking to do something sat. My running partners seem to be working or broke their Jeep, Would you mind a stranger taging along ? I know where some roads go have followed some.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:02 am 
Pimp

I will be in California this weekend, I plan on running it again on the 26th or the 27th

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:08 am 

hards91xj wrote:
Matty wrote:
Shermanator2411 wrote:

Greg

Are you doing this on Sat ? I was looking to do something sat. My running partners seem to be working or broke their Jeep, Would you mind a stranger taging along ? I know where some roads go have followed some.

Either Saturday or Sunday.. I will figure it out as the weekend gets closer.. I am also down to go the weekend of the 26th or 27th..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:20 pm 

Matty wrote:

We're heading up there Sunday for a kind of date day. Not much free time alone with our work schedules but I would love to get to know the area better if you wanted to head up there another time.

Any roads we should stay away from? Or definitely worth checking out?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:33 pm 

Shermanator2411 wrote:
Matty wrote:

We're heading up there Sunday for a kind of date day. Not much free time alone with our work schedules but I would love to get to know the area better if you wanted to head up there another time.

Thanks!

The roads up there are all pretty simple if you are just looking to play on some FS roads.. A fun trip is Lonesome Lake off of the 74/75 roads.. Gorgeous lake.. Super clear.. My pup loves it..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:00 am 
whew, finally

Matty wrote:
Shermanator2411 wrote:
Matty wrote:

Thanks!

The roads up there are all pretty simple if you are just looking to play on some FS roads.. A fun trip is Lonesome Lake off of the 74/75 roads.. Gorgeous lake.. Super clear.. My pup loves it..
That is a good place ,we do that area in the snow also. The roads are easy , just pay attention to the area you drive through so you can come back out . Have a safe one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:04 pm 

Matty wrote:

hards91xj wrote:
That is a good place ,we do that area in the snow also. The roads are easy , just pay attention to the area you drive through so you can come back out . Have a safe one.

Ok I think we'll try to head out towards there and check it out! I hoping the rain holds off this weekend... but not counting on it :mad:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:57 am 

a few pictures from green pass area
Attachment:
DSC02129_1037x778.jpg
DSC02129_1037x778.jpg [ 108.34 KiB | Viewed 8769 times ]

mt. rainier, pyramid peak
Attachment:
DSC02212_1037x778.jpg
DSC02212_1037x778.jpg [ 128.06 KiB | Viewed 8769 times ]

east towards blowout mt.
Attachment:
DSC02225_1037x778.jpg