www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:18 pm 
whew, finally

pierce county sheriff was out in force when i was leaving camp today. i know he had just ticketed someone (not sure who - he mentioned it) when i was leaving - he just pulled me over and pointed out the forty-seven or so items that made my rig non-legal...

anyone pick up a ticket?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:34 pm 
#Red Rocket

Vehicle: 92 YJ, 37s, Coilovers
He was long gone from camp by the time I left, right before I drove through Wilkenson he had a lifted Yota pulled over though. :dunno:

-Alex

MaxRev MotorMedia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:38 pm 
whew, finally

i drove by bryan pulled over by him

no ticket tho, from what i was told

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:40 pm 
true Patriot

Vehicle: 07 JK...seriously???
:mrgreen:

No I didn't get a ticket and I was only told of 46 violations :p

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:12 pm 
Im not a player, I just post alot.

Vehicle: '88 2 door XJ: locked front D30 w/ chromos, LSD rear 8.8, on 35's
When I left I passed 2 ORV guys who had cut off 2 yotas and were talking to them. I just made sure to wave and smile.
:thumbsup:

~Scott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:45 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: Rockhopper's Mom
dookie wrote:
pierce county sheriff was out in force when i was leaving camp today. i know he had just ticketed someone (not sure who - he mentioned it) when i was leaving - he just pulled me over and pointed out the forty-seven or so items that made my rig non-legal...

anyone pick up a ticket?

I was infront of Sean and had a lengthy discussion with me.

5.0-Do you have a trailer for this rig?

Me-No, I cant afford one and a tow rig sir.

5.0-This vehicle is illegal to drive on any public roads.

Me-How so, Im more legal than 75% of the 4 wheel drive vehicles out there.

5.0-This vehicles suspension is modified beyond the factory.(or some bullsh!t)

Me-Ive never been hasseled about that before, EVER.

5.0-I wouldnt get lippy. I could write you for 2k worth of tickets, I just did to that guy in the Surburban last weekend because he had the same attitude as you do now.

Me-Im not giving you any attitude, ALL I said was Ive never been talked to about my rig.

5.0-Where are you headed?

Me-Home sir. South Auburn.

5.0-You are driving THIS all the way back there?

Me-Yes sir, I am.

5.0-Im not hasseling you, Im letting you know you guys have unsafe rigs to be driving on the public roads. There are far too many fatalities involving you guys with big rigs and big bumpers getting into accidents and killing innocent people. You'll get the same treatment as a DUI vehicular manslaughter in the courts. 3.5 to 5 years in prison. These big bumpers are what cause these kind of damages and deaths.(mine is acutally smaller than a stock bumper :???: )

Me-Is that right? That sucks.

5.0-You need to go onto the WSP website and print out a broucher(sp?)

Me-I dont have a computer.

5.0-Well, read through this.(gives me a broucher)

Me-Um.... Thanks?

5.0-Who are you with this weekend? Those 2 guys behind you with you? (dookie and Sean)

Me-The PNWJeep M&G, they were following me out, sure they are 'with' me.

5.0-Well the fellows rig behind you, his bumper is very illegal, too short, sticks out too far...

Me-Well, you might want to let him know, If you aint going to ticket me, can I leave now?

5.0-Yes, keep it safe, and I dont want to see you back up here without getting this thing fixed.

Me-Yea, sure, ill get right on that :roll: .

Shook my hand and then bothered Sean and obviously Dookie.

I know they got a job to do and thats fine by me. But there are at least 2(the guy today and the Pierce County Sherrif) that take it a bit TOO far IMO. I think they need to keep the drunks and jackasses outta there, not handing out tickets to responsible wheelers for stupid stuff. Im thankful I got off with a 'warning' though. I was just hoping that the ticket happy PCS wasn't hiding around the corner when I left.

I have mud flaps, fender flares, all my lights work, bumpers front and rear, seat belts, side marker lights, ect.. and somehow my junk is illegal.

They need to sit outside a Les Schwab or 4Wheel Parts(or any other custom shop) and ticket people, becuase every lifted truck that comes outta there is illegal.

These kind of lectures I get everytime I go up there is getting old. I love wheeling at Evans, but its becoming a turn off due to this simple fact.

TH350/700R4/4L60E/NP231 stock/custom rebuilds

-Web Wheeler-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:55 pm 
#Red Rocket

Vehicle: 92 YJ, 37s, Coilovers
2stroke wrote:
Me-I dont have a computer.

Oh really? :f2:

-Alex

MaxRev MotorMedia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:29 pm 
whew, finally

he gave me the same "your jeep is going to kill someone" speech about my bumpers. my flimsy, herculiner-coated, stock bumpers. i was trying to appear as understanding as possible, but it's far more likely that if my heep is going to kill someone, it'll prolly somehow be me...

however, i guess the good news is that i'm really not THAT far past legal. even my overly tall xj is only 2" or so over the bumper height limit... that, and i need reflectors for the rear taillights. easy fix.

oh, and he told me that the tj flares i put on it are illegal. they stick out too far on mine - even though they are stock equipment on another vehicle... :dunno: tj guys, watch out i guess.. :thumbsup:

strictly for the record, i have to say he genuinely was one of the nicest cops i've ever personally dealt with. we chatted for a while. apparently, others' results may vary... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:37 am 
Turns out, firewood DOES grow on trees!

Vehicle: FFZJ
It is one or two rouge cops that are responsible for this. I have run into plenty of LEOs up there who perform their jobs with intelligence, rationality and a respect for the good users Evans was created to entertain. As many of you already know I too had a particularly venomous encounter with this terrorist ( by definition that is exactly what he is ) and a few things have / are going to come from it.

First off I am done with wheelin Evans for the foreseeable future. He told me I'm not allowed to come back until my rig is put back to stock anyway.

Secondly I intend to put words into action and do whatever I can to have said individual removed from his post. This afternoon I will be composing a letter both in e-mail and hand written form to be sent to the appropriate person(s) in Olympia. This letter will outline this particular officer's disgusting behavior and the overwhelmingly negative impact it is having on recreation at Evans creek as well the economies of the small towns benefiting heavily from the responsible wheelers passing through.

I have a couple other ideas in the planning process I may very well carry out as well. One of which will have me really sticking my neck out on behalf of our trails and my friends who enjoy them with me. It was a really great idea a co-worker came up with last night. Write out a complete and well composed petition and set up with a table and chair in the main staging area as early as next weekend. There will be a work party that is sure to bring out a decent crowd. Let officer Nevergetslaid see a list of people, good, law abiding responsible trail users signing a document that basically says he is not welcome here.

Evans creek is really my main haunt. I will not lose it to some POS individual on a power trip. He is using fear to drive people away.

Over the course of my time there last weekend I ran into minors getting hammered right off the FS road. I also ran into a group of drunken wheelers on the trail ( not with us.) Where is Mr. protect and serve? Busting up the family oriented club run participants he knows very well are not the enemy. Absolutely disgusting and despicable.

More to come.....

Wheel stud Kill count: 11
Perfect wheel/tire assembly ejections: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:25 am 

Wow, I had no idea the cops were out in force. I guess I made it outta there early enough on Sunday to not get hassled. Normally I'm a magnet for cops...... and my rig isn't even all that chopped up.

My biggest complaint is the fact that fullsize rigs don't get hassled near as much.

I'll get pulled over for having tires outside of the flares, and bumpers too far from the ground, but an F-150 will drive by with his 23" wheels and 38" tires and bumpers 5' off the ground and doesn't even get a second look.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:33 am 

Vehicle: nissan pathfinder
that guy tells everybody that they're gonna kill some one.

told me a month ago.

he had a friend that was rear ended by a built truck and died (or something along those lines).

they need to go out to a construction site and ticket every single lifted super duty wihout mudflamps, fender flares and the front bumper 4 feet off the ground.

he told me my rig was unsafe as well.

"Just a few new dents in the roof."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:39 am 

Damnyankee wrote:

he had a friend that was rear ended by a built truck and died (or something along those lines).

That doesn't suprise me. There is a stater in Lewis County thats pulled me over twice now, he targets big tires because one threw a rock up and cracked his windshield years ago and he's still not over it.

Don't get me wrong here, I respect the law and those that enforce it. I understand that it sucks when bad things happen. However, a law enforcement officer has a higher responsibility to uphold the intent of the law and enforce it fairly, they can't just fire up a crusade and start slaying eveyone that looks like the one that caused them grief.

I'm with Horus on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:54 am 
true Patriot

It sounds like quite a few of us got the same speech from Deputy Hudson. Better to talk then to write us all tickets but telling us we are going to kill everyone is a load of crap. The guy he was talking about in the Suburban actually drove past during my lecture though it was being trailered and he was happy. The tow rig had darn near the same lift as the trail rig :hmm:

I too passed no less then 10 rigs on my way home that were full size would be tow rigs and a lot more deadly (according to his theory on bumpers) than mine. Like you Mike I love wheeling at Evans but that becomes a major turn off and quickly makes it not worth the risk. Especially on my front bumper which is legal except for the end height where it slopes up. That along with mud flaps, tail lights not being directly facing rear were his biggest gripes on my rig.

He did also make comments on a couple TJs that drove by without their doors on saying that was illegal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:14 am 
true Patriot

I will add this though. Tyler and Nick were really great to hang around and talk to. Those guys are passionate about protecting the trails and making sure everyone has a safe and fun experience. I know they were taken on a few runs so they could get to know some of the trails better and they were all smiles coming back.

They also made arrangements to have all of the trail trash that was picked up hauled out and I know we as a whole picked up a lot of stuff! Thanks to everyone for helping make this a very positive impact on not only on the environment but with the FS guys. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:08 am 

bryans87MJ wrote:
He did also make comments on a couple TJs that drove by without their doors on saying that was illegal.

Actually, he is right about that.
The only rigs that can run without door legally are some of the older CJ's (and not every year) that the doors were an option. Your TJ came with door, it was not an option.. so its illegal.

Not that i care, just keeping "us" informed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:09 am 

bryans87MJ wrote:
I will add this though. Tyler and Nick were really great to hang around and talk to. Those guys are passionate about protecting the trails and making sure everyone has a safe and fun experience. I know they were taken on a few runs so they could get to know some of the trails better and they were all smiles coming back.

They also made arrangements to have all of the trail trash that was picked up hauled out and I know we as a whole picked up a lot of stuff! Thanks to everyone for helping make this a very positive impact on not only on the environment but with the FS guys. :thumbsup:

Any of the "Rangers" that I have met up there are great!

Its just that 1 LEO thats a real........ i won't say it

and Horus.. DO IT!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:38 am 
Village Elder

Vehicle: '04 Jeep LJ, '72 Toyota FJ40 LandCRAWLer
Horus wrote:
Secondly I intend to put words into action and do whatever I can to have said individual removed from his post. This afternoon I will be composing a letter both in e-mail and hand written form to be sent to the appropriate person(s) in Olympia. This letter will outline this particular officer's disgusting behavior and the overwhelmingly negative impact it is having on recreation at Evans creek as well the economies of the small towns benefiting heavily from the responsible wheelers passing through.

Just remember that Evan's Creek is National Forest land and their office is in Enumclaw. The Pierce County Sheriff is in Pierce County.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:28 pm 
Pimp

Well most of you guys know my rig. Moderate lift on fairly narrow 33"s that tuck completely under my stock fender flares, bumpers that are within 1" of legal height, legal muffler, all the stock lights present and functional, blah, blah, blah. I've been told by more than one person that if you don't know much about XJs, my rig almost looks like it could have come stock from the factory built just like it sits.

Anyway, this guy actually found something to give ME crap about! I got a 2 minute quiz/lecture about not having my front plate on it - even after I told him it is on a receiver-mount in the back with my gear, and I only take it off to put my receiver-mounted winch on when I go wheelin!

I support law enforcement as much as anybody, and I have to admit he was friendly enough about it, but come ON! This guy's agenda is over the top. Someone needs to put a leash on him and teach him what it means to enforce the law equitably, tell him to focus on the big problems, and stop hassling people who are just there for a family-friendly good time!

'01 WJ Laredo - bone stock Wife's DD & grocery getter: SOLD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:54 am 
true Patriot

Totally agree Bob as I know when I was going through Wilkeson at a Blistering 19mph I saw several 110cc pit bikes and quads racing about town. None of them had helmets and most were even not wearing shirts.

But hey, I guess we are the bad guys out killing innocent people like it's the new pink :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:32 am 
Soy una gran cosa

Vehicle: '51 Power Wagon
Last time I drove my Jeep to Evans, I got read the list of 46.5 Items that will surely kill the next innocent family I come across. How is he allowed to just hang out up there and harass people all day? Is this the only area he patrols? I thought Sheriff deputies had large areas to cover :dunno:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:35 am 
Village Elder

CheaperJeeper wrote:
Well most of you guys know my rig. Moderate lift on fairly narrow 33"s that tuck completely under my stock fender flares, bumpers that are within 1" of legal height, legal muffler, all the stock lights present and functional, blah, blah, blah. I've been told by more than one person that if you don't know much about XJs, my rig almost looks like it could have come stock from the factory built just like it sits.

Anyway, this guy actually found something to give ME crap about! I got a 2 minute quiz/lecture about not having my front plate on it - even after I told him it is on a receiver-mount in the back with my gear, and I only take it off to put my receiver-mounted winch on when I go wheelin!

I support law enforcement as much as anybody, and I have to admit he was friendly enough about it, but come ON! This guy's agenda is over the top. Someone needs to put a leash on him and teach him what it means to enforce the law equitably, tell him to focus on the big problems, and stop hassling people who are just there for a family-friendly good time!

Was it on your tow dolly at the time or were you driving it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:43 am 
Pimp

OD-XJ wrote:
How is he allowed to just hang out up there and harass people all day?

According to him he is NOT harassing anyone. :roll:

90 Jeep Comanche 4.0L AW4, 231 2 low Tom wood's SYE, Waggy Dana 44's 5:13 Detroit Clayton's long arms, 6" lift, 35" Maxxis Creepy's, Trail-Ready Beadlocks, Custom bumpers, 3x6 box tube rock rails,LOT'S OF BODY DAMAGE
04.5 Chev HD2500 ext.cab longbed, Dirtymax, Duramaxtuner ECM & Edge CTS moniter
Auburn Car Repair & Offroad. 253-939-5019

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:06 am 
whew, finally

I saw they had someone pulled over as I was driving out on the gravel road. The rig looked fine, wasn't a piece of trail trash just waiting to kill an innocent family in a mini-van. While I can certainly appreciate their desire to keep vehicles legal and safe, they need to focus on people who are actually in illegal, unsafe vehicles. 95% of the vehicles I saw around camp and on the trail were either very well thought-out and accomodated for legality on the street or trailered rigs. That officer was doing more harm than good, and I'm glad the thread starter is taking it to the next level to let his superiors know that he's hurting the area he's sworn to protect and serve.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:26 am 

Vehicle: 07 Liberty Altitude
We drove out right when he was driving into Evans. We smiled and waved, and jerk-face just looked like he had a stick up his butt. I only wish that he had pulled us over- our WHOLE VEHICLE is stock!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:45 am 

Diandra wrote:
We drove out right when he was driving into Evans. We smiled and waved, and jerk-face just looked like he had a stick up his butt. I only wish that he had pulled us over- our WHOLE VEHICLE is stock!
I received the same treatment...Smiled, the kids and I all waved, He just scowled as we drove by lol.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:27 pm 
Pimp

John90XJ wrote:
CheaperJeeper wrote:

Was it on your tow dolly at the time or were you driving it?

Not quite sure why it would make a difference - on the dolly it would still have a rear plate visible just like a trailer. Like I said, I told him the plate was in the cargo area with my other gear, on a reciever mount, and that I just remove it to put my winch on for wheelin, etc. THEN I also pointed out that I am towing it to and from the trail. Didn't make any difference, he still proceeded to give me his little lecture about why a front plate is required.

However, in answer to your original question, I was driving it - we were heading out for the 520/198/519 run on Sunday when we ran afoul of "Officer Friendly"...

My point is that my rig is about as close to completely legal as I can make it and still have a decently capable wheeler, and yet he STILL had to waste time giving me crap instead of doing something truly meaningful in terms of law enforcement.

'01 WJ Laredo - bone stock Wife's DD & grocery getter: SOLD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:51 pm 
Village Elder

I was wondering simply because that would have been way out of line if a towed vehicle would have needed a front plate. If it's being towed the front plate isn't at all visible.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:11 pm 

There is no question this guy is way out of line. Any Law Enforcement Officer that resorts to harassment and threats is obviously not acting in the intrest of the law.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:36 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: Rockhopper's Mom
John90XJ wrote:
I was wondering simply because that would have been way out of line if a towed vehicle would have needed a front plate. If it's being towed the front plate isn't at all visible.

Exactly. If its on a trailer, id does not need a front plate, or any plates. Only if the vehicle was to come off the trailer, and drive on public roads, then it would need them.

Even on a tow dolly, do you even need plates on the vehicle? Front and/or rear? Ive seen countless garbage cars being towed by tow trucks, tow dolly's, ect without any plates.

This jackass cop needs to be removed from the area, re-evaluate his personal life experiences, and not waste his or anyone elses time harassing or hassling or lecturing everyone on what is legal or not. He needs not to mix his personal life with his professional life, if this is the same officer who's buddy got rearended by a built truck, and has a vendetta go 'get' all lifted trucks. His Stupid Duty was taller, and sure a whole hell of alot bigger than my Cherokee. This fella is way out of line, and complaints need to be filed against him. Ill be doing mine shortly.

My.02.

TH350/700R4/4L60E/NP231 stock/custom rebuilds

-Web Wheeler-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:15 pm 
whew, finally

Vehicle: '93 YJ, Zero Output 2.5L, AX5, 31" A/T, open/open. Winch & York OBA.
Wow, I'm glad I didn't run into him... Left at about 2:30, and didn't see a single cop until I got to 405. He probably would have given me no end of grief about my tires sticking out, being underinflated (I kept it at 15 PSI until I was back on pavement for my kidneys sake) and having my swaybar still disconnected. :roll:

Is running with no doors really illegal, even with relocated side mirrors? I've searched the RCW when this has come up before, but I've never been able to find any actual law regarding doors. :dunno: