www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:36 pm 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 2014 JKUR
Man - I've spent all week getting the runaround between discount and les schwab. I talk to somebody on the phone - they say "sure - we balance beadlocks". Drop my jeep off - get a call an hour later " uh - we don't balance beadlocks". I'm so f'ing pissed right now! This happened twice this week!
Any suggestions? Had my last tires/beadlocks balanced at tru-line in Bellevue. Road-force balanced and it was great. But they're weeks out right now.

Help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:54 pm 
whew, finally

If you take them off the vehicle and bring them in a truck, almost anyone will balance them. Of course that's a pain.

I've gotten beadlocks balanced on my Jeep (although they're DOT certified) at Kirkland Discount Tire three times, might have luck there, but I'm sure it's hit or miss with who is doing it. The last time though I had to sit there for an hour while just about everyone in the store went out and inspected my wheels, called managers, called more managers, and finally got approval to balance my tires.

You mentioned road-force balance, remember you can't do a full road-force balance with beadlocks (you theoretically can, but no shop will). In fact you should tell them to not roadforce balance them so some shop worker doesn't start trying to pry the tires off your beadlocks confused on why they won't dis-mount.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:37 pm 
Never go full Rich-ard

Vehicle: V8 TJ
Taking them in OFF the rig is key.

I only know crew at Auburn Discount. If you go there, talk to Jimmy, tell him John from Auburn Car Repair & Offroad sent you, they'll do it.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:
When times get tough fat people get thin, thin people get dead.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:33 pm 
whew, finally

Avanteone wrote:
Taking them in OFF the rig is key.

I only know crew at Auburn Discount. If you go there, talk to Jimmy, tell him John from Auburn Car Repair & Offroad sent you, they'll do it.

I will give that a shot!
Thanks John.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm 
whew, finally

Vehicle: '95 YJ
What about just using airsoft pellets?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 pm 
you guessed it, web wheeler

I bought some ceramic balancing beads off of eBay. Worked great. Follow the chart with the size and # of plys. They run smooth. I picked up extra packs of beads to have as spares.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:30 am 
Pimp

DadsXJ wrote:
I bought some ceramic balancing beads off of eBay. Worked great. Follow the chart with the size and # of plys. They run smooth. I picked up extra packs of beads to have as spares.

I used to be a pretty firm believer in the beads. Until I did it on my own rig this summer. Followed the chart to a T and it shakes ALL over the place. One of my winter projects is to break them down and vacuum it all out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:46 pm 
Needy Fucker

Vehicle: '12 Moo
BIGSTUCK wrote:
DadsXJ wrote:

I used to be a pretty firm believer in the beads. Until I did it on my own rig this summer. Followed the chart to a T and it shakes ALL over the place. One of my winter projects is to break them down and vacuum it all out.

Huh. I did airsoft BBs on my XJ (38" Creepy Crawlers on TR BLs), ran perfect up to 70mph. Although in fairness, I never did run them withOUT the BBs for comparison...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:42 pm 
whew, finally

Seems 50% of people have them work perfect, and 50% of people have them fail completely.

I never have come up with any good theory on why this is the case. It's possible they just don't really do anything at all and some people have tires that are naturally good enough and others don't. Who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:05 am 
Pimp

snow wrote:
Seems 50% of people have them work perfect, and 50% of people have them fail completely.

I never have come up with any good theory on why this is the case. It's possible they just don't really do anything at all and some people have tires that are naturally good enough and others don't. Who knows.

When I ran a 4wd shop down south I put them in every set of beadlocks I sold. We used the dynabeads only and I followed their charts all the time. No one came back complaining of unbalanced tire issues. So I figured Id do the same on my own rig this time and failed miserably.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:27 am 
whew, finally

Tight n Tidy Racing in Renton will do it. 425 235-9382. He mostly does track car stuff but was happy to do mine. He does this out of his residential garage. Good guy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:34 pm 
whew, finally

I ran beads in my old tires (same rims) for about 20k miles. I ended up vacuuming them out and have them balanced. Way better. I ended up taking them to the wheel shop up in Redmond that did my last set and they roadforced balanced this set as well. No issues.
I don’t know if I’m using the wrong term but it’s the process where they spin it against a drum?