www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fatality at Evans
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:56 pm 
whew, finally

Vehicle: '95 YJ
Saw this unfortunate report just posted on the East Pierce Fire Facebook page.

"Tonight your East Pierce Firefighters are working with fellow first responders to rescue a person said to be ejected from a vehicle at Evans Creek ORV Park near Mt Rainier. This person was in a vehicle that crashed, unfortunately killing the other person, and severely injuring the other. Pierce County Sheriff's Department members, Carbonado Volunteer Fire Department Firefighters, City of Buckley Fire Department members, and Mount Rainier National Park members as well as your East Pierce Firefighters are working to reach, treat, and safely transport the injured person down the mountain. In Burnett an Airlift Northwest Helicopter will be landing momentarily and will be standing by to transport to the trauma hospital. Please keep the victims in your thoughts as we work to get them to definitive treatment at Harborview Medical Center."

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Fatality at Evans
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:00 pm 
whew, finally

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5231304314

And the TNT story
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/loca ... 13769.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:39 pm 
Never go full Rich-ard

Vehicle: V8 TJ
Yeah, following it. According to article sounds like he may have gone off the ROAD, not a trail.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:
When times get tough fat people get thin, thin people get dead.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:13 am 
Im not a player, I just post alot.

Vehicle: TJ
Isnt that what happen in 2012

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:10 am 
I'm Fun Sized!

Vehicle: 00 TJ
92 Cherokee
84 Yota
It happened on the 520 trail near the rock garden.

... "And knowing is half the battle" G.I.JOE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:59 pm 
Village Elder

Vehicle: '04 Jeep LJ, '72 Toyota FJ40 LandCRAWLer
Subscribed.

Does anyone know where this happened? Mike said the 520 but I'm trying to imagine the 1000' cliffs there are to fall off of.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:12 pm 
I'm Fun Sized!

92 Cherokee
84 Yota
I think the distance down the hill was slightly exaggerated. I spoke with search and rescue up there this morning as they were bringing the body into the day use area. He said the vehicle was several hundred feet off the trail. He just said it was close to the area people call the "rock garden" on the 520. He was not familiar with the trail and wouldn't say if it was still covered in snow. I didn't ask to many questions friends and family were starting to arrive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:21 pm 
Village Elder

Vehicle: '04 Jeep LJ, '72 Toyota FJ40 LandCRAWLer
I was curious if maybe the trail out of that area was it or if it was the road up to the old log pile. Both of those may have been logged since I was there last.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:33 pm 
drinks are on me!

Probably where the 2 other bad rollovers were. The first one where the guy died many years ago is still down there. The other one was a red YJ I winched out. Maybe I will cruise up there tomorrow and check it out. Fred's towing will probably be doing the vehicle recovery at $1000 an hour.

Looking at the topo map where the two other accidents happened, it's no more then 400' vertical. The hill is steep but not a cliff. Red YJ I recovered was about 100' down and was stopped by a big tree. That part of the trail holds snow for a long time because it doesn't get sun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:13 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: Hank
Small world.. my co worker is the mother of the girl that is in Critical. She's not here today, however I heard the word "lawsuit" in a conversation. I refrained commenting. Sad for all involved.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:25 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: 04 LJ
Sad for sure, here are another couple of articles

From one of the first people there
http://www.theolympian.com/news/local/a ... 90174.html

Identifies the driver
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/loca ... 62184.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:40 pm 
drinks are on me!

Can someone look up the spot on a topo map? I have looked twice and it is 400' to the creek.

Trail is 4200'
Poch Creek is 3800'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:01 pm 
drinks are on me!

Some old maps show a road up Poch Creek which is where the Jeep ended up. Never knew that, must be blocked off on the lower entrance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 pm 
Pimp

Vehicle: 04 LJ
Corey wrote:
Can someone look up the spot on a topo map? I have looked twice and it is 400' to the creek.

Trail is 4200'
Poch Creek is 3800'

My garmin maps are showing 4400' at the trail and 3840' at the creek
Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 66.68 KiB | Viewed 2477 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:25 am 
drinks are on me!

Thanks. Talked to a friend of the friend that help recover the victim. They don't have plans to remove the Jeep, winching it uphill 550 feet might not be feasible.

It is not wise to wheel drunk and stoned.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:29 am 
you guessed it, web wheeler

Thoughts and prayers to the families. Of any of you know of the families needing anything give a shout out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:41 am 
Never go full Rich-ard

Corey wrote:

I don't like 2nd or 3rd hand info, but I was curious about that.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:58 am 
I'm Fun Sized!

92 Cherokee
84 Yota

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:49 am 
drinks are on me!

Avanteone wrote:
Corey wrote:

Where did this info come from? I haven't read anything that said alcohol or drugs were involed?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:28 am 
Pimp

Vehicle: 97 Sport
If wheeling was safe, we wouldn't do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:37 pm 
drinks are on me!

Does anyone in the Puyallup area have a set of stock YJ tires and wheels I can borrow? Looks like it has 4 flats and I'm guessing the wheels are bent.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:56 pm 
drinks are on me!

The jeep went off 50 yards from the cross, just under 4700 foot elevation. I walked the old lower road at 4000 feet elevation and could not find it. Must be sitting around 4200-4300 feet. The vegetation is thick on the hillside.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:57 pm 
drinks are on me!

POR wrote:
Avanteone wrote:
Corey wrote:

Where did this info come from? I haven't read anything that said alcohol or drugs were involed?

Spent 4 hours up there today with his friends recovering some items and this is confirmed.

The jeep is 300 foot off the trail. Passenger was ejected at 110 feet when they hit a tree.

Pat and his passenger went up there alone, met up with 2 other rigs at the campground and ran the trails. There was a Toyota pickup following the jeep that watched it roll down the hill. The trail is flat side to side and 9 feet wide, he drove too close to the edge and slipped off. The hillside has 2 big trees and the jeep hit both but bounced off.

All his friends said Pat was a great guy, hard working and always willing to lend a hand. He worked in social services doing counselling of some sort.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:33 pm 
drinks are on me!

Corey wrote:
POR wrote:
Avanteone wrote:
Corey wrote:

Spent 4 hours up there today with his friends recovering some items and this is confirmed.

The jeep is 300 foot off the trail. Passenger was ejected at 110 feet when they hit a tree.

Pat and his passenger went up there alone, met up with 2 other rigs at the campground and ran the trails. There was a Toyota pickup following the jeep that watched it roll down the hill. The trail is flat side to side and 9 feet wide, he drove too close to the edge and slipped off. The hillside has 2 big trees and the jeep hit both but bounced off.

All his friends said Pat was a great guy, hard working and always willing to lend a hand. He worked in social services doing counselling of some sort.

Sucks it's always some form of inebriation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:58 pm 
whew, finally

Corey wrote:
Does anyone in the Puyallup area have a set of stock YJ tires and wheels I can borrow? Looks like it has 4 flats and I'm guessing the wheels are bent.

Did you find the rollers you need?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:08 am 
drinks are on me!

We have a winch big enough to pull it with flat tires. :hi:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:36 am 
Im not a player, I just post alot.

Vehicle: 99 TJ
08 Dmax
I have a set of wheels and tires for a yj u can have if u still need rollers and I'm in downtown puyallup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:45 am 
Medium Pulp

As it was mentioned, there was another death at this spot back in 1995. I found details on that incident posted in this months PNW4WDA Tri Power...figured I would share. I've met Dan Morris many times...didn't know he was the one that went over :eek2:

Quote:
Hello All-

I’m sure most of you heard about the accident up at Evans Creek on Saturday, June 17th. There was a fatality and another is in Harborview’s ICU. My deepest condolences go out to the deceased family and friends. Also sending out thoughts and quick healing vibes to the woman who was hurt in the accident. Almost as soon as the story popped up on Facebook I started receiving texts and calls from others about this unfortunate incident. It brought back a flood of memories for me and what happened in 1995...also at Evans Creek. I hope the families receive lots of love and friendship because they’ll need all they can get at this time and especially in the future.

Many of you know the story of what happened at Evans Creek on September 23rd, 1995. Many of you do not. This is a short summary of the events from that day... Myself, 2 of my best friends (Clint & Dale), and my son Brody (2 years old) went on the Offroad Animals Fun Run over at Evans. We weren’t part of the PNW4WDA, but followed behind some members. We were on the 520 trail, the dirt under the rear tire gave way and the Jeep went all the way down. (Roughly 1000’) I was ejected first, my son next and my 2 friends rode the jeep all the way down. Clint died at the scene, Dale broke both legs from the knees down, crushed eye socket, broken ribs, and many more issues. My son received severe head trauma from his head hitting the roll cage as he flew out. I broke ribs, bruised my spleen and my kidney. I started running downhill, grabbed my unconscious 2 year old son and started running up the hill. I handed him off to a stranger and told him to take care of my son, get help as soon as possible. I then ran back down to check on my friends. Dale was still awake, Clint was non-responsive. My son was airlifted from Wilkeson to Harborview a few hours later after the emergency personnel brought him “back” three or four times. Dale was picked up by a helicopter with a basket from the scene and taken to Madigan...later transferred to Harborview.

After months of surgeries, therapies, lawyers, betrayals, bankruptcy, getting sued, we finally were able to grieve. It hit us hard. My friend Clint is missed every day since he died. When this accident came up from this past weekend it brought so many feelings back up to the surface. The devil’s club, covering the wounded to keep them warm, getting the person to keep talking to you until help arrives. It’s almost like its history repeating itself in a way. There is a cross up on the 520 trail with Clint’s name, birth/death dates on it. Brody’s shoes that he was wearing the day of the accident still hang on the cross. People put notes in his little shoes and leave things around the cross. It’s a sight for me to see, the kindness of people never ceases to amaze me.

About 10 years after the accident we were at a club function and a friend was telling the story about the Jeep wreck to some people. Another club member overheard the story and came over to me with wide eyes and he was visibly shaking. He pointed at Brody, who was attempting to bowl at the time, and asked if that was the child from the accident. “Yes it is”....then he looked at me and said, ‘I’m the one you handed him off to before you went back down the hill.” He did what he needed to do with our son before he was taken by the EMT’s and airlifted. He never knew what happened after that. Then by pure coincidence, we happen to end up in the same club. He and his family are now a part of our family and will remain so forever. Sorry this is going on kind of long, but I felt the need to share with you guys. I want all of you to be safe, stay safe and always remember to have safety equipment in your rig at all times. Even if you never need it...have it. Keep these people and their families in your thoughts and prayers. Have your clubs help out if they can. There are lots of links online to how you can help out with the medical bills and such. If you need some contact info get a hold of me and I’ll get my hands on some phone numbers and addresses.

Lastly, be kind to each other, especially online. If you weren’t there when the accident happened then you don’t know every detail. I know I don’t. There’s some that will judge the people for not doing things “right.” Coming from experience...you just don’t know unless you were there. Be compassionate with them because the families and the survivor need that in their lives right now and especially later on when things really start hitting home.

Be Safe-Be kind
Dan Morris
PNW4WDA President

http://www.pnw4wda.org/tri-power.php

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:54 am 
Never go full Rich-ard

Wow. That's a tough read.

Overkill is under-rated

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:58 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: '09 2dr JK
dirk wrote:

Quote:
About 10 years after the accident we were at a club function and a friend was telling the story about the Jeep wreck to some people. Another club member overheard the story and came over to me with wide eyes and he was visibly shaking. He pointed at Brody, who was attempting to bowl at the time, and asked if that was the child from the accident. “Yes it is”....then he looked at me and said, ‘I’m the one you handed him off to before you went back down the hill.” He did what he needed to do with our son before he was taken by the EMT’s and airlifted.

This got me in the feels. :( Thank you for sharing.