www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:50 pm 
Delicious Meat Replacement

Just thought I would share a little about a project I started thinking about this past weekend. My CRL-101 rides way too tall, doesn't have the weight distribution I'd like and has far too much trouble climbing steep ledges. So I've been looking into bodiless chassis. There are a number of kits for sale on rcccrawler.com and if I had any brains, I would probably just shell out the cash for the assurance that it just works.

But.... I've been bitten by the 'build it myself' bug. and so, I started drawing up plans for my own 2.2 crawler chassis.

It is approximately 66mm wide, 150mm long and 100mm tall between the top most point and the front lower control arm mounts. The tallest part of the cab would be mounted towards the front, to push weight forward.

What do you think? Should I order up some delrin, head over to my friends milling machine and cut a few up?

"The man who has done his level best, and who is conscious that he has done his best, is a success, even though the world may write him down as a failure." – BC Forbes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:04 am 
whew, finally

To be a comp chassis it is not to spec... It must be 8" long...

Edit. And it must also be 3" wide at the widest part of the chassis.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:34 pm 

Dang! Thanks for pointing that out. I skimmed through the rules, but didn't see the additional requirements stated in section 2.3.5... Back to the drawing board.

2.1.3 – Bodiless vehicles: Must be a self-supporting, structurally complete, rigid frame. The roof must be raised a minimum of 1” from the main chassis to resemble a cockpit. The frame sides must be an overall minimum of 1” tall (The cockpit & frame side are to be measured vertically from where the hood intersects the cab). Bodiless vehicles should resemble a 1:1 vehicle. NOTE: These bodiless rules are in a 1 year trial period to see how people respond to it and after that time these rules & requirements may be revised.

2.1.3.1 – Bodiless vehicles must have solid hood panel, solid roof panel and a minimum of 2 solid side-panels. Hood, roof and side panels must be separate pieces of solid material installed onto the bodiless vehicle frame. All body panels are to be separate pieces from the complete structural frame. Body panels must be solidly installed in a manner that is representative of a 1:1 vehicle. It is required that at least one point of the side-panel must reach to a span of 1” tall or more & at least one other point of the side-panel must reach to a span of 2.5” long or more. In the case of a Unibody vehicle (See sec. 2.1.3.2 for Unibody definition). The Unibody is considered to have all body panels needed without having to add separate body panels as long as the hood, roof & side panel areas meet all the general panel & side-panel size requirements above.

2.3.5 – 2.2 Crawler class bodiless overall dimension of the complete chassis must be at least 8″overall length, 3″ overall width, and 3.75″ overall height.

"The man who has done his level best, and who is conscious that he has done his best, is a success, even though the world may write him down as a failure." – BC Forbes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:48 pm 
whew, finally

Ya hated to be the bearer of bad news but hate to see somebody put forth allot of effort and end up bad.

I am on the national rules (USRCCA) commintee so I get to know the rules all to well :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:31 am 

crash wrote:
Ya hated to be the bearer of bad news but hate to see somebody put forth allot of effort and end up bad.

I am on the national rules (USRCCA) commintee so I get to know the rules all to well :mrgreen:

:thumbsup:

Better to tweak it before I cut it. I've rev'd it and I like the second design even more.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:48 am 
whew, finally

Vehicle: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1966 pontiac GTO
1988 honda prelude 4ws
Lookin good so far :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:20 pm 

Thanks.

I'm waiting to hear back from a friend regarding use of his neighbors CNC machine. If he's cool, I should be able to get a prototype cut up pretty soon to see if it actually works.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:59 pm 

The DXF files have been sent over to my friend's neighbor. We'll see how the first cut turns out. I picked up some delrin rod to mess around with links and just need to machine a little jig for drilling and tapping the rod for set screws and rod ends.

Hope it goes together as I've designed it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:49 pm 

Update long over due....

The files I sent over to my friend's neighbor didn't play nicely with his machine, so I had to come up with a scale print out and cut it by hand.

BTW - Even though Google Sketchup was a breeze to do the actual design/drafting work, it is a complete pain in the a$$ to get a full scale print out from it. And I am more than a little disappointed that the output wasn't consumable by the CNC machine.

I hope to get the first cut of the chassis today, and then I can start figuring out link lengths and shock positions. I'll just need to be patient with the drill and tap set in order to get the delrin pieces to bolt up the chassis. Timing is good since the stock Berg links that came with my kit are starting to fall apart.