www.PNWJeep.com

Pacific NorthWest Jeep forum
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:09 pm 
Im not a player, I just post alot.

Vehicle: 98 TJ 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
"97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rolled"
I read when all those cars that didn't belong in deep snow got stuck at Denny Creek that they threatened to close the road. I was thinking about going to snow wheeling there tomorrow does anyone know if it's closed or open?

Timbertamers.org

Buy a car from me at Lee Johnson, Chevrolet, Mazda, and Kia.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:45 pm 

Went today and it is closed to "thru traffic". I briefly thought about going around knowing I wouldn't go all the way through but it is full of hikers anyway.

Tinkam is not closed but tons of snow piled on it by plows make it closed. Plus there are people camping in the middle of the road.

We found another road farther east. Confirmed with FS is was not a groomed trail and hit it. Made it 1/4 mile maybe before deciding the snow sucked. It was 40+ degrees and really wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:02 am 
Medium Pulp

If we let them camp in the middle of the road, seems like we are letting the non-motorized get away with an illegal closure. If it is legal to drive on, we should continue to use it...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:56 am 
Medium Pulp

The road is listed as NOT CLEARED per the FS website:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/mbs/ ... width=full

Quote:
Expect snow and ice. Road is not maintained during winter months and often becomes impassable. Use caution and come prepared for winter conditions. Road is closed off at 9040 road access and approximately 1.5 miles from Exit 47.

Tinkham also shows NOT CLEARED...

Quote:
Expect snow and ice. Road is not maintained during winter months and often becomes impassable. Use caution and come prepared for winter conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:22 am 
Medium Pulp

Talked to my FS contacts in Enumclaw...they connected me with Alex Weinberg @ the North Bend Ranger Station. He says King County owns the lower section and decided to close the road due to safety concerns....too many people going up the road to look at Franklin Falls. The upper portion is owned by FS.

He was going to chat with his county contact and get back to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:29 am 
Medium Pulp

http://www.seattletimes.com/photo-video ... -off-i-90/

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoo ... snowbound/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:25 pm 
drinks are on me!

That would explain why the map shows it as two different road numbers, upper and lower.

Looks like the lower part is SE Denny Creek Road, upper is FS-58. Some maps show the lower as FS-5800. There are a few houses on the lower section and cabins on the upper section. The upper cabins are on leased land from the Forrest Service, not sure about the lowers. I can check the King County map later.

This is the last house on the lower section before it turns into usfs land https://www.redfin.com/WA/North-Bend/66 ... ome/499517

Looks like the lower part is mostly private parcels.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:11 pm 
whew, finally

G Bush wrote:

Tinkam is not closed but tons of snow piled on it by plows make it closed. Plus there are people camping in the middle of the road.

Does it make it legally closed? I've always driven over berms with no worry if there's no sign or gate or grooming. Obviously the tents are a different issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:39 pm 
Medium Pulp

snow wrote:
G Bush wrote:

Does it make it legally closed? I've always driven over berms with no worry if there's no sign or gate or grooming. Obviously the tents are a different issue.

Historically, I think it has just been not maintained...not closed. With all the people flocking up to Franklin Falls to see the frozen beauty, the county actually closed their section due to safety concerns....(per the Alex @ the FS). The FS has no legal standing to close the county road. The FS guy assumed the giant berm would keep people out...however, he just moved to this district and didn't know about the jeep recovery awhile back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:45 pm 

The big pile on the tinkham side looked like more work than we were looking for. It was easily 10' tall. Then we'd have to deal with the tents. Too much work just to have an argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:29 pm 
drinks are on me!

That stock YJ was stuck before there was a big berm. I'm going to guess the USFS will make the closure formal from now on since it is so popular with the hikers.